Re: Easy whiskey and rum recipies for beginners

  • schnakeus
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2009
      Here's a rum recipe that is good. 8 lb sugar, 6 lb light brown sugar, 2 12oz bottles of molasses dissolved in two gallons of hot water. Save 8 oz or so of this mixture for later flavoring. Fill to 25L in fermenter bucket. Temp should be 68 to 75 degrees F. Then add pkg of turbo pure 48 yeast in fermenting bucket w/ airlock (all available at Brewhaus or many wine supply stores, and they come with a perforated cap so the cyl doesn't blow to the ceiling). Ferment 48Hrs or until percolating stops, if you like, for a wash of 17 to 21%.SG should be 1.00 or lower. Distill 4L, removing first 2Tsp of fusels, down to approx 1.1 Litre(using a 4L pot still)Don't collect tails, throw em away. A couple weeks in a plastic milk jug with a tsp med toast oak chips per litre really mellows. You will yield easily 4L 60ABV decent rum, and can make 3+ 1.75L bottles of 40 ABV rum with distilled water. Add 2OZ of saved(molasses /sugar) mixture per 1.75L. For a darker rum flavor add one cap full of Prestige rum essence per 1.75L(available at Brewhaus). Flavor rivals Bacardi gold, maybe a little stronger taste,especially with the Prestige.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

        Hi All,

        After being critiqued too many times on my beliefs in using plastics in the hobby of distilling, would any of you other 3,648 members here in New Distillers care to comment on Schnakeus' recommendation to Andy (a brand new member and distiller) on this statement:

        "Distill 4L, removing first 2Tsp of fusels, down to approx 1.1 Litre(using a 4L pot still) Don't collect tails, throw em away. A couple weeks in a plastic milk jug with a tsp med toast oak chips per litre really mellows."

        Thanks,

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

      • macrobert@europe.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
          I've found that at ~35% or lower it seems to be okay, but above that it gets flavours from the plastic.
          YMMV

          Robbie Mac
          Sometime tinkerer and sometimes it even works....

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
            Hi YMMV,
            I hope that you drink all that gutrot yourself. You wouldn't want it on your concience that you are slowly poisoning all your drinking mates.
            Please stay away from plastic, if you don't, you will be a surgeons delight in future.
            There is enough information in the archives about plastic in relation to alcohol useage and storage.
            Do not take any notice of Multi Nationals and their statements in regard to plastic, pvc etc etc.
            Their bottomline dictates what is healthy for you and us.
            Best Regards,
            Jan.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
              Okay, I'm open to the fact that many, perhaps even all, plastics leach toxins into high-ABV spirit, but can anyone tell me *which* toxins are leached out of medium-density polyethylene, the plastic our milk jugs are made from?

              Except for the number of carbons in the molecular chain, polyethylene is chemically identical to paraffin wax, generally considered to be chemically inert. Also, because of the physical properties of MDPE, I'd be surprised if plasticizers are included, and our jugs use no coloring agents.

              So I want to get past yes or no, good or bad, and get to *what*. Does anyone here know?

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (who doesn't store in *any* plastic)

              ----snip----
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

                OK Guys,

                Didn't mean to start a flame war here.  I was being a bit facetious and "tounge in cheek" when asking for comments on Schnakeus' recommendation to Andy about using plastic milk bottles to age 60% (120 proof) rum in.

                To try and put this in perspective, plastics are fine for primary fermentations of up to 20% or so ABV.  This is what would be considered "pre-distilled" product.  For distilling and "post-distilled" products we are going to drink, there are only certain plastics that are ethanol tolerant, and even then, drinkable stuff over 100 proof should not be stored in them for any length of time.  Riku, a moderator and well known still designer here can tell you which plastics are ok for this (like the Amazing Still).  However, used plastic milk containers definitely DO NOT contain one of these.....

                The only approved and recommended plastic containers for holding drinkable ethanol products for any prolonged period of time (again under 50% or 100 proof), are the specially coated PET liquor bottles they came out with about 10 years ago.  These have special coatings which form a barrier between the ethanol and the plastic.

                Please do not store or try and age your "barrel strength" products in any type of plastic containers.  USE GLASS or oak barrels.  PLEASE.

                Remember this Schnakeus for Gosh sake.  Below is a posting by Harry from Advanced Distillers on PET bottles and their coatings.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                repost of Distillers group msg# 39312

                Re: Angels share?

                > Good information Harry,
                >
                > Now few more things. As an example polypropylene seems to be OK for
                > medium term STORAGE of medium strength ethanol. That's not aging but
                > storage. PET bottles I've had trouble with. I once stored some 30-40%
                > low wines temporarily (for few hours) into a thin walled pet bottle
                > and it deformed. What we need to remember here is that we are not
                > dealing exclusively with ethanol, rather flavored drinks and
                > especially low-wines have many other higher+lower boiling point
                > alcohols + other chemicals. The combined effect of all these is quite
                > impossible to determine without empirical testing.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku

                I'm in the middle of doing up a paper on plastic containers in distilling.  It'll take me a while to finish.  But as to your experiences with PET bottles...time & technology march on relentlessly.  The reason they've been able to use PET for beverages like Early Times & Ancient Age whiskey for the last 10 years  (and I believe Jim Beam is now using it), is because of the great advances in coating or barrier substances and processes.

                The pet bottles of today are a far cry from those of even 3 or 4 years ago.  There's also PET bottles tailor-made for specific fills, like carbonated drinks and hot-fill juices in PET bottles that don't distort and whose contents have a shelf life requirement of longer than 9 months.

                  The barrier coatings range from the organic coatings (epoxyamine aka Bairocade) developed in the mid 1990s to lengthen the shelf life of the smaller soft drink sizes in hotter climates,  then for beer, to the latest plasma-applied inorganic coatings, using carbon or silicon.

                It's a brave new world, particularly for we adventurous distillers.

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

                  Hi ZB,

                  Not sure what they all are or do, but heres a few.

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim aka Waldo.

                  Toxins, Endocrine Disruptors And Carcinogens That Migrate From The Molecules Of Different Plastic Containers To Their Contents

                  Polyethylene Glycol /PEG
                  Moderately toxic, eye irritant and possible carcinogen. Many glycols produce severe acidosis, central nervous system damage and congestion. Can cause convulsions, mutations, and surface EEG changes. Found in cosmetics, body products, foods, lotions.

                  PET: Polyethylene Terephthalate

                  Used for: Soda Bottles, Water Bottles, Peanut Butter Jars, Cooking Oil Bottles

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: Acetaldehyde

                  HDPE: High-Density Polyethylene

                  Used for: Milk Jugs, Detergent bottles, Plastic Bags, Yogurt Cups

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: Antioxidants, BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

                  PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride

                  Used for: Water Bottles, Salad Dressing Bottles, Detergent Bottles, Cooking Oil Bottles, Shampoo Bottles, Mouth Wash Bottles, Meat Wrap, Also: Babies' Teething Rings, Pacifiers, Nipples and Toys (Barbie for example).

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: Plasticizers (Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Phthalates and the carcinogen, Diethyl Hexyphosphate)

                  LDPE: Low-Density Polyethylene

                  Used for: Produce Bags, Food Storage Containers

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: Antioxidants, BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

                  PP: Polypropylene

                  Used for: Bottle Caps, Drinking Straws

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

                  PS: Polystyrene

                  Used for: Meat Trays, Foam Take-Out Food Containers & Cups (not in Berkeley!), Foam Packing Materials

                  What migrates from plastic container to contents: Styrene (traces found in nearly everyone's body fat)

                  > Okay, I'm open to the fact that many, perhaps even all, plastics leach toxins into high-ABV spirit, but can anyone tell me *which* toxins are leached out of medium-density polyethylene, the plastic our milk jugs are made from?
                  >
                  > Except for the number of carbons in the molecular chain, polyethylene is chemically identical to paraffin wax, generally considered to be chemically inert. Also, because of the physical properties of MDPE, I'd be surprised if plasticizers are included, and our jugs use no coloring agents.
                  >
                  > So I want to get past yes or no, good or bad, and get to *what*. Does anyone here know?
                  >
                  > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (who doesn't store in *any* plastic)
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Ooms" jkooms@ wrote:
                  > ----snip----
                  > > Please stay away from plastic, if you don't, you will be a surgeons delight in future.
                  > > There is enough information in the archives about plastic in relation to alcohol useage and storage.
                  > ----snip----

                • Paul Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                    You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).

                    It's a plasticiser that is added to most food grade plastics, in high density PET is keeps it from forming razor sharp shards when it breaks, in the lower density types it just makes the flexible, and we're only taking PPT addition rates at most! Biological effects start at PPB rates....

                    OH yeah the multi-nationals recon it's totally safe, but until I see evidence that the findings made to date are WRONG I won't use plastics unless it's unavoidable.

                    P.

                    --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@. ..> wrote:

                    > Okay, I'm open to the fact that many, perhaps even all, plastics leach toxins into high-ABV spirit, but can anyone tell me *which* toxins are leached out of medium-density polyethylene, the plastic our milk jugs are made from?
                    >
                    > Except for the number of carbons in the molecular chain, polyethylene is chemically identical to paraffin wax, generally considered to be chemically inert. Also, because of the physical properties of MDPE, I'd be surprised if plasticizers are included, and our jugs use no coloring agents.
                    >
                    > So I want to get past yes or no, good or bad, and get to *what*. Does anyone here know?
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (who doesn't store in *any* plastic)
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Jan Ooms" jkooms@ wrote:
                    > ----snip----
                    > > Please stay away from plastic, if you don't, you will be a surgeons delight in future.
                    > > There is enough information in the archives about plastic in relation to alcohol useage and storage.
                    > ----snip----

                    Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.

                      I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

                        Your More then Welcome ZB,

                        But again, remember this everyone, what we are doing here, is making drinkable "poison" in the first place.  All these discussions on plastics, foreshots, and correct cuts contribute just a fraction of 1 percent to the real "poisons" we are making.  Downing a quart of the best 12 year old whiskey you can get in less then 1 hour will prove this to ya' all.

                        So the best adviceto all is: Drink Sensible, Be Safe and dont sell your hootch.  Remember, this is a hobby and an aged,  good and honorable one!!!

                        Vino es Veritas,

                        Jim aka Waldo.

                        PS> No I haven't yet joined MADD (mothers against drunk drivers), Im still a member of DAMM (drinkers against mad mothers);).....

                        > Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.
                        >
                        > I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.
                        >
                        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith praxis178@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).
                        > >
                        > >----snip----

                      • schnakeus
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Jim and all,
                          Sorry Andy, I shouldn't have recommended plastic, although I was talking short term (7 to 10 days to mellow and color. Then dilute,flavor and bottle). I also use glass. I don't want to mislead anyone. Jan, are you sure it is absolutely that dangerous? I'm no chemistry major. Anyway it's a decent rum recipe. And glass is best. Shame on me!

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                            Hi Schnakeus,

                            No big deal at all. This hobby is constant learning curve and im glad
                            this was brough out in the open. Just hope people now relize when and
                            where to use plastics. My views are simply that its better safe then
                            sorry, so I stay away from plastics in any post-distilled product.

                            And yes, your recipe is a good one, and especially interesting adding
                            the essences as well. The only constructive criticism would be taking
                            it all the way up to 21% ABV. This is the very upper limit of the turbo
                            yeast's tolerance and may cause some unwanted flavors and stess them
                            out. Not to mention the heat being generated.

                            I use about the same ratios of sugars to molasses, but usually go no
                            more then 14% ABV for rums, while the commercial rum makers usually
                            shoot for around 10% ABV. Lower ABVs in your fermentation will allow
                            more flavors to come through.