getting rid of the burn

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2009
      I made some rum (1 gal molasses:4 gal rum) in my potstill (~28L). Fermented (2) five gallon carboys and stripped them. Took 2 gallons of low wines, 1 gal dunder, 1/2 gal feints, and 1.5 gal water, and did the spirit run. My cuts were done every 150-200 mls or so, checking the abv. Discarded the first 100ml, took heads to ~80%, kept 80-65% as hearts (got a bit more than 1 gal), and took heads down to 35%.

      I added back about 200 ml (roughly) of 35-40% tails (to try for some of the rum oils Arroyo talks about), brought it to 60% and put it on some oak (in 3 gal carboy). So in a nutshell, I've got about 1 gallon of 60% sitting on oak for about 1 month (along with the daily shake up or two). I do an occasional tester, adding a bit of water, or some ice...

      Now, both good and bad....

      Bad: not very smooth going down
      Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away

      I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?

      Should I be doing something different with my cuts?

      Should I just let it age a lot longer?

      This IS only my second rum venture. My first by temp rather than abv. It tasted ok, but rough, and I got a lot less. Put it on oak to age, put paper towels over the mason jars and forgot about them, literally. For quite some time. When I remembered them, they were about 15% abv. Oops, maybe I can use them for oak flavoring for my new batch? Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      T-