Re: Building a still

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2009
      Andy,

      I may take some flack for suggesting aluminum, but I've used stills built on garage-sale 5-gallon aluminum pressure cookers with fine success. The metal is soft enough to cut and thread with common tools. The used cookers are usually cheap.

      The main issue in a potstill is attaching the copper or stainless head to the boiler, and with aluminum, you can cut the hole with a hole saw, thread it for 2" (or 1 1/2") pipe threads, and screw whatever kind of head you want on to it.

      If you are using it for potstilly things, you'll want to be able to open the top way up for cleaning, de-scorching, are distilling solids like grape pomace for grappa. The easy-off pressure cooker lid solves that problem for you.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller