Re: temp readings on pot still

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2009
      Just another opinion, but...

      I have the probe from an electronic kitchen thermometer at the top of my 24"x2" unpacked column/riser, very close to where the vapors enter my lyne arm. I also have a parrot's beak, but mostly use it for spirit runs.

      Probably the most important use of my thermometer is to determine how I control heat input (I use propane). Most especially with foamy washes like rum, I use full heat until the head temperature aproaches about 50C, which means I'm almost at a boil (honest). At that point I turn the heat way down so I don't "boil through", or "puke", and I'm usually very successful at that. That may not be an elegant application, but I find it *very* helpful.

      Because it's not always easy to fit the parrot's beak between the Liebig output and the collection vessel (think carboy), the thermometer is also an easy way to determine when to shut a stripping run down. Sometimes I'd even like the information from a thermometer measuring wash temp, so that I'd have more time to gauge an approaching puke.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller