heavy peat malt

  • Peat Reek
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2009
      I got 5 pounds of Irish peat from http://www.irishsmoke.ie  I could do without the pretty packaging for a lower price, but it was the best I could find for the moment.

      I first tried using a small pot of coals and peat inside my gas grill with three pounds of damp barley spread on two pans.  I didn't expect great results since the smoke wasn't rising through the kernels.  A little smokieness, but not more than I can get at my local BYOB shop.

      I then picked up a Weber kettle grill to use to smoke a bit o barley.

      - placed 15 lbs of barley on a 'bowl' of aluminum screen material that ran right to the edges of the grill
      - started a small charcoal fire, maybe 15 or 20 pieces
      - waited for the coals to be red and producing no smoke
      - put a small bucket of water right beside the coals for moisture
      - put a couple hunks of the Irish peat directly on the coals
      - covered, let smoke for a couple hours stirring every 15-20 minutes

      Man, that barley is PEATY!  I ground it, mashed it and now am watching it ferment very nicely.  It has an interestingly smokey-sweet taste to it.  I should know late this week what the end result is. :)

      The next run I will have a 'riser' built to get the barley higher off the coals and a better edge seal for the lid..  A few kernels got browned more than I would have liked when I let it sit more than 20 minutes without turning it.  I am going to build the riser about two feet tall, that way if I find it is too cool, I can cut it down some.  I am also going to try wetting the barley first a little to see if that makes a difference in how well the smoke 'sticks' to the kernels.

    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2009
        Thanks for the link, now I'm just waiting to find out how much the postage is to Oz....

        Please keep us posted on how you experiments turn out, I have ~50lbs of malted barley, some of which I'd love to be able to peat.

        P.

[...]

        Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.