RE: [new_distillers] Re: enzymes

  • Peers Cawley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2009

      Yesterday I was making a bitter beer so was using some roasted barley which does cut down the starch conversion a bit but I used three kilos of unmalted barley - cracked it in a food processor mixed with fifteen litres of water and three teaspoons of amylase  at 65 degrees held at 62 – 63 for a couple of hours. Could not do iodine test as only stuff available is mixed with pavidone (whatever that is). Brought temperature up to 77 for one hour – oh keep stirring it. Pitched yeast this morning 1.040 perfect strength for beer. If I hadn’t roasted some of the barley would have got higher for sure – smells great.

      As regards distilling I usually just go neutral with MUM washes I have done a UJSSM and also used amylase on corn but to be honest UJSSM is far easier and there is very little difference

      Cheers from Peers