Can someone help simplify whiskey making a bit?

  • mbg_816
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
      If I were to want to make a whiskey from cracked corn and malted barley, (in a pot still)what steps do I need to take and what supplies would I need?
      I have read Homedistillers.org several times but there is so much input and I'm not sure how or if it all relates and I'm just looking for a simple clear way to do this. If there is anyone out there who can offer a step by step (from scratch) way to produce the mash for whiskey I would really appreciate it. Between the cooking, adding yeast, fermenting, and all the straining and washing it's a lot to take in. Also the site kind of jumps around a lot and then will talk about making several different types of alcohol.
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009

        Read my last posting and you are better to get a sugar wash under your belt first …See Masons link

        Ken Mc

        Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

        Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

        If I were to want to make a whiskey from cracked corn and malted barley, (in a pot still)what steps do I need to take and what supplies would I need?
        I have read Homedistillers. org several times but there is so much input and I'm not sure how or if it all relates and I'm just looking for a simple clear way to do this. If there is anyone out there who can offer a step by step (from scratch) way to produce the mash for whiskey I would really appreciate it. Between the cooking, adding yeast, fermenting, and all the straining and washing it's a lot to take in. Also the site kind of jumps around a lot and then will talk about making several different types of alcohol.

      • Phil
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
          Ian Smiley's book 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' was a huge help to me.  It is out of stock at Amazon, but available from www.amphora-society.com  It is well laid out, and has clear directions.