yeast ranching question

  • *
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2009
      i need to stretch a envelope of whiskey yeast. i'll tell you what i was thinking , and maybe you can let me know some quantities or if im going to do something wrong.

      was thinking a small sugar wash (sg ?)about 1 gal,1-2 tbls of the yeast, with some nutrients ? vitamins? epsom salt? or just go to LHBS for yeast nutrients , and an
      air stone. let the air stone run the entire time. few days ? or untill
      i had enough to pitch in a 6 gal mash . not sure how much that would have to be . is fresh the same as dry?

      will this work and or will i change the caricature of the yeast?

      thank you in advance
    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

        > i need to stretch a envelope of whiskey yeast. i'll tell you what i was thinking , and maybe you can let me know some quantities or if im going to do something wrong.
        >
        > was thinking a small sugar wash (sg ?)about 1 gal,1-2 tbls of the yeast, with some nutrients ? vitamins? epsom salt? or just go to LHBS for yeast nutrients , and an
        > air stone. let the air stone run the entire time. few days ? or untill
        > i had enough to pitch in a 6 gal mash . not sure how much that would have to be . is fresh the same as dry?
        >
        > will this work and or will i change the caricature of the yeast?
        >
        > thank you in advance

        Breeding yeast is a whole other facet of this hobby. In simple terms, you need air, LOTS of air, all the way through your growth phase until you use up all the nutrients. Yeast uses air to multiply. Without air, it will stop growing and switch to making alcohol and CO2 if there's any sugar left to eat. If not it will go dormant (settle out) and that's when you collect it.

        There's a lot of info about on yeast ranching. Start simply with John Palmer's free online book "How To Brew". Search on the term "Yeast Ranch" (without quotes). If you're into beers or adapting them for whisky washes John's info is second to none. Did I mention it's FREE?

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009

          In addition to John's work that Harry mentioned, you should also read Dr. MB Raines' disertation on  "Yeast Propagation and Maintenance".  She is also a well renounded scientist is the field of microbiology and a member of the Maltose Falcons (one of the oldest brewing clubs around - since 1974).

          Yeast Propagation and Maintenance: Principles and Practices MB Raines
          "MB Raines, our widely published yeast expert graciously lent us her expertise in this guide to everything you need to make yourself a yeast rancher and a grower of happy yeasts."

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim aka Waldo.