storage bottles

  • johntteswod
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
      Just wondering if any one is using the 11 litre plastic spring water bottles in Australia for any part of process eg fermenting, storing wash, stripping runs or spirit, are they safe to use.

      I am slowly collecting glass and looking at all options.

      Cheers
    • 8_bit_boy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
        they should be fine for fermenting or storing wash.. i wouldn't put anything with a high abv in them tho..

        for fermenting i use 18ltr 'handy pails' from bunnings, they are around 5-8$ each and make great fermenters!!!

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
          Hi John,

          Yes, as mentioned earlier, you can use them for fermentation and storing
          your wash, but not for any high ABV distillations.... You shouldn't
          store anything higher then 20 - 25 % in untreated plastic, unless its
          those PET plastic liqor bottles that have been coated with ethanol
          resistant coatings.

          Better yet, just stick to glass (like used wine jugs or mason jars,
          cleaned out liqor bottles) for your stripping runs and spirits.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johntteswod" <johntteswod@...>
          wrote:

          > Just wondering if any one is using the 11 litre plastic spring water
          bottles in Australia for any part of process eg fermenting, storing
          wash, stripping runs or spirit, are they safe to use.

          > I am slowly collecting glass and looking at all options.
          >

          > Cheers

        • Christopher Bedwell