Re: peatreek tips (was heavy peat malt source)

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2009
      Hi Paul,

      This might be of interrest? Tasmania has peat bogs.

      http://tinyurl.com/yaa2zw7

      http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/ ,or http://tinyurl.com/yajreoh

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

      > Sooooo....
      >
      > Anyone know someone in that neck of the woods who might be willing to buy (on behalve off the group) a bale of the good stuff?
      >
      > Anyone who then wants a brick sends their address and money to said person, plus a little something for their trouble and in due course a brick of peat arrives with the interested people.
      >
      > From my reading the price per bale is ~UK£3.50 plus delivery to UK address. (from here: http://www.michaelkings.co.uk/index1.html)
      >
      > Well I guess for now it's back to dreaming of peat for me.....
      >
      > P.

    • J J
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
        Another link to peated barley:

        http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Distilling.html

        In the table the heavy peated barley is listed as ranging between 25-50ppm.

        With a bit of luck, your supplier might be able to get this in.

        Phenol.

        This might be of interrest? Tasmania has peat bogs.

        http://tinyurl.com/yaa2zw7

        http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/  ,or http://tinyurl.com/yajreoh

        Cheers
        Marc

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

        > Sooooo....
        >
        > Anyone know someone in that neck of the woods who might be willing to buy (on behalve off the group) a bale of the good stuff?
        >
        > Anyone who then wants a brick sends their address and money to said person, plus a little something for their trouble and in due course a brick of peat arrives with the interested people.
        >
        > From my reading the price per bale is ~UK£3.50 plus delivery to UK address. (from here: http://www.michaelkings.co.uk/index1.html)
        >
        > Well I guess for now it's back to dreaming of peat for me.....
        >
        > P.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:new_distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:new_distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Phil
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
          The Bairds distributor in the US said there is none here, and it would take an order of about 200 50# sacks (10K pounds) to make it happen.  Anyone want to go halves on an order with me?
          > bairds heavy peated barley
          > your supplier might be able to get this in

        • M W
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
            Sounds like a nice way for someone with some money to make a lil money to keep Angel in her share, maybe; 10k pounds would cost a bit.
          • J J
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 7, 2009
              I'll be ordering it in at some stage, but unfortunately I'm in oz...

              If you do end up getting some in Phil, be sure to keep us posted on the results you get.

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2009
                You could try asking a Tasmanian distillery www.larkdistillery.com.au/ to seewhere they get theirs.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

                > I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a source that will deliver to Australia, but so far not had much luck with UK/Irish sources.....
                >
                > It does come in nice compact bales now (~30Lbs/bale), but delivery is going to be a killer!
                >
                > P. who will keep looking as time permits. <grin>

              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Peat is quite varied as to the source plants even in Scotland. I suspect the phenols in the smoke is what is relevant. For the home distiller possibly any good garden peat would do the job?
                  wal

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                  > You could try asking a Tasmanian distillery www.larkdistillery.com.au/ to seewhere they get theirs.
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a source that will deliver to Australia, but so far not had much luck with UK/Irish sources.....
                  > >
                  > > It does come in nice compact bales now (~30Lbs/bale), but delivery is going to be a killer!
                  > >
                  > > P. who will keep looking as time permits. <grin>

                • Paul Smith
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2009
                    Apparently they have their own bog, yes a whole bog of their own!

                    I have a suspicion that if I asked for some they'd know exactly why I was asking too..... <grin>

                    P.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 8, 2009
                      Mr Lark started off as a home distiller!
                      His peating technique looks similar to what is on the homedistiller.org site.
                      wal

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 8, 2009
                        Wal - I can tell you that the bale of peat I bought at my local (U.S.) Lowe's garden center, from Florida, sure didn't come out well as peatreek! I did find a source in Ireland that will ship here. I have ordered a few pounds of his hand-cut Irish turf (peat), I will let you folks know how that turns out. There's a guy in California that sells it, getting $125US for 25 pounds. That's a little too pricey for me just to experiment with. If my first attempt with a smaller quantity works out, I will order some from him and split it with anyone here on the list that wants some.

                        I got my 55# bag of Thomas Fawcett & Sons UK malted barley yesterday. As I was warned, it is not very heavily peated. I am thinking that I might try re-peating some of it per the instructions at http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm under the section "Jack offers more help on How to peat your malt".

                        Phil

                        > Peat is quite varied as to the source plants even in Scotland. I suspect the phenols in the smoke is what is relevant. For the home distiller possibly any good garden peat would do the job?
                        wal
                      • gnikomson2000
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 9, 2009
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

                          > I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a source that will deliver to Australia, but so far not had much luck with UK/Irish sources.....
                          >
                          > It does come in nice compact bales now (~30Lbs/bale), but delivery is going to be a killer!
                          >
                          > P. who will keep looking as time permits. <grin>

                          Worth a read...

                          http://www.nsw.nationaltrust.org.au/pmalert.html

                        • sippin90
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 9, 2009
                            US Irish peat source...http://www.irishpeat.com/purchase.php I've never used them, but it's another option at 10 lbs for $30 shipped.
                            Rob

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Phil <n2652t@...> wrote:

                            > Wal - I can tell you that the bale of peat I bought at my local (U.S.) Lowe's garden center, from Florida, sure didn't come out well as peatreek! I did find a source in Ireland that will ship here. I have ordered a few pounds of his hand-cut Irish turf (peat), I will let you folks know how that turns out. There's a guy in California that sells it, getting $125US for 25 pounds. That's a little too pricey for me just to experiment with. If my first attempt with a smaller quantity works out, I will order some from him and split it with anyone here on the list that wants some.
                            SNIP
                          • burrows206
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 9, 2009
                              Hi Harry,
                              Just a quick one
                              Q.
                              What do you call a 4000 year old Irishman?
                              A.
                              Pete (peat)
                              Ya can't beat the old un's
                              Geoff

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000"

                              <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a source that will deliver to Australia, but so far not had much luck with UK/Irish sources.....
                              > >
                              > > It does come in nice compact bales now (~30Lbs/bale), but delivery is going to be a killer!
                              > >
                              > > P. who will keep looking as time permits. <grin>
                              >

                              > Worth a read...
                              >
                              > http://www.nsw.nationaltrust.org.au/pmalert.html
                              >

                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry

                            • Phil
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 9, 2009
                                I can't remember or find where I read it, but I think I saw some doc mentioning that compressed peat brick "Bord na Mona" doesn't smoke like a cut peat turf.  I had seen these guys, but shied away from them for that reason.

                                From the BNM.ie website:

                                Bord na Móna Peat Briquettes are made from 100% natural products with no additives or binders. They are produced using a complex and energy efficient process. Each briquette is a small block of highly compressed dry peat.

                                Because Bord na Móna Peat Briquettes are much drier than turf they are easier to light. They produce more heat when burned and less smoke. Modern technology has been used to ensure consistency of product.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 9, 2009
                                  Should be easy enough to re-hydrate it for use, seeing as they don't add anything, but have only removed some excess water.

                                  Just break up the brick and going by weight add the missing water leave in a sealed container for a couple of days to absorb the water and then it should be right to use....

                                  P.

                                  PS. anyone want to do an order that I can piggyback a couple of lbs worth out of?  Sometimes bein in OZ can be a right pain....

                                  I can't remember or find where I read it, but I think I saw some doc mentioning that compressed peat brick "Bord na Mona" doesn't smoke like a cut peat turf.  I had seen these guys, but shied away from them for that reason.

                                  From the BNM.ie website:

                                  Bord na Móna Peat Briquettes are made from 100% natural products with no additives or binders. They are produced using a complex and energy efficient process. Each briquette is a small block of highly compressed dry peat.

                                  Because Bord na Móna Peat Briquettes are much drier than turf they are easier to light. They produce more heat when burned and less smoke. Modern technology has been used to ensure consistency of product.

                                  > Wal - I can tell you that the bale of peat I bought at my local (U.S.) Lowe's garden center, from Florida, sure didn't come out well as peatreek! I did find a source in Ireland that will ship here. I have ordered a few pounds of his hand-cut Irish turf (peat), I will let you folks know how that turns out. There's a guy in California that sells it, getting $125US for 25 pounds. That's a little too pricey for me just to experiment with. If my first attempt with a smaller quantity works out, I will order some from him and split it with anyone here on the list that wants some.
                                  SNIP

                                  Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
                                • peatreek
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 19, 2009
                                    I got 5 pounds of Irish peat from http://www.irishsmoke.ie I could do without the pretty packaging for a lower price, but it was the best I could find for the moment.

                                    I first tried using a small pot of coals and peat inside my gas grill with three pounds of damp barley spread on two pans. I didn't expect great results since the smoke wasn't rising through the kernels. A little smokieness, but not more than I can get at my local BYOB shop.

                                    I then picked up a Weber kettle grill to use to smoke a bit o barley.

                                    - placed 15 lbs of barley on a 'bowl' of aluminum screen material that ran right to the edges of the grill
                                    - started a small charcoal fire, maybe 15 or 20 pieces
                                    - waited for the coals to be red and producing no smoke
                                    - put a small bucket of water right beside the coals for moisture
                                    - put a couple hunks of the Irish peat directly on the coals
                                    - covered, let smoke for a couple hours stirring every 15-20 minutes

                                    Man, that barley is PEATY! I ground it, mashed it and now am watching it ferment very nicely. It has an interestingly smokey-sweet taste to it. I should know late this week what the end result is. :)

                                    The next run I will have a 'riser' built to get the barley higher off the coals and a better edge seal for the lid. A few kernels got browned more than I would have liked when I let it sit more than 20 minutes without turning it. I am going to build the riser about two feet tall, that way if I find it is too cool, I can cut it down some. I am also going to try wetting the barley first a little to see if that makes a difference in how well the smoke 'sticks' to the kernels.