Re: Proofing yeast

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009

      Note Paul,

      Yes, metabisulfite or campden tablets are available through any wine / beer making shop and is SOP in the wine world for getting rid of any infections and wild yeasts.  This is especially true when using fruit musts.

      However, the recommended way is to add a couple of tablets to your fermentation  before pitching your yeast.  Let stand at least 24 hours so the sulpher dioxide gases can release and escape before adding the yeast.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.