How many scrubbers do I need?

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
      Ok so this may sound like a dumb question, but roughly how many scrubbers would I need for a 1m long 50mm diameter column?

      Just thinking about pricing out a packed column, seeing as I have most of what I would need as left overs from the moster still project.

      Thanks.

      P.

      Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
    • alan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2009
        May I add another dumb question? Should the scrubbers be copper or steel?

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

        > Ok so this may sound like a dumb question, but roughly how many scrubbers would I need for a 1m long 50mm diameter column?
        >
        > Just thinking about pricing out a packed column, seeing as I have most of what I would need as left overs from the moster still project.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > P.

        > Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail.
        > Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/

      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2009

          It is your call which way you go I have a personal preference for Stainless Steel ( I assume this what you meant by Steel) for the reason they are easy maintenance. Copper has better conductivity and work equally as well. A word of caution; check that they are the real deal! That goes for SS and Copper

          Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

          May I add another dumb question? Should the scrubbers be copper or steel?

        • martinspam2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
            the stuff I bought (copper) came in strips of about 6 inches wide. 44 inches or so would roll up into a "plug" 6" long (2" diameter). I needed 6 of these to fill the column.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
              Thanks Martin,

              Some help, but anyway, I'm slowly stocking up on scrubbers as time and mad money permits.

              I've done a sort of test which indicates that when packed a SS scrubber packs down to between 3/4" and 1" thick in a 2" pipe. So I'll work based on the 3/4" packing rate and hope I end up with a couple of surplus scrubbers.

              P.