Proofing yeast

  • socoinsga
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hey all,

      I've been baking for many years, certain recipes call for proofing yeast(adding a little sugar during activation),my question is, is there any advantage to doing for fermenting? I've tried this with EC 1118 and the initial effect is the same, alot of foam. I've been told that this increases early yeast production, in bread it makes quicker rise and textures like french or cuban bread, with big bubbles baked in. I'm currently trying this in a hybrid MUM wash that I just started yesterday, If this works I'm going to try it in a scratch grain recipe I'm working on. Even with cooking I'm having a problem with bacteria infections. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
        You might try adding a small amount of Sodium Metabisulfate, like maybe a knife point worth in 5gallons, as bacteria are way more sensitive to sulphur dioxide than yeast are. Other than that try boiling the grain for ~15mins to make sure that they have been heated through to their cores.

        The other thing to try is to activate your yeast in a separate vessel and when it's going really strongly (4-5hrs post hydration) then add it to the wort this way there is a much larger yeast population to start with and then they can overwhelm any wild organisms that have gotten into your wort.

        If the problem persists then you might have to take drastic action and get a new fermentation vessel....

        P.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009

          Hello Socoinsga, (from now on your nic is Soc LOL)

          Yes Soc, tis a good idea to use a yeast starter in fermentation.

          This should consist of about a quart or so of whatever you are going to ferment and hydrate the dried yeast in it.  While this can be done with water and some sugar, its much easier for the yeast to accustomize themselves, if the same medium is used to start them as they will be growing in.  A good starter should also contain the same nutrients, which are just as important as sugar in the initial growth phase.

          Dr. MB Raines is very well known in the beer world and Maltose Falcons She has written a very good disertation on Yeast Propagation and Maintenance. Even though this is directed at beer making, it still holds true for the sugar washes, fruit musts or grain mashes we use in distilling.  See: http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices  for a good yeast starting procedure.

          While bacterial infections are not quite as important here as they are in wine making, as long as the wash/mash is only kept for a week or 2, it is still a good idea to keep all utensils and fermentation containers sanitary and the fermentation away from open air.

          It is not recommended to use an air lock during the primary fermentation stage due to the high activity and CO2 produced.  But keep it covered well (I use a garbage bag with bungie cord).

          HTH

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009

            Note Paul,

            Yes, metabisulfite or campden tablets are available through any wine / beer making shop and is SOP in the wine world for getting rid of any infections and wild yeasts.  This is especially true when using fruit musts.

            However, the recommended way is to add a couple of tablets to your fermentation  before pitching your yeast.  Let stand at least 24 hours so the sulpher dioxide gases can release and escape before adding the yeast.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.