Legionairies Disease

  • mbodhorn
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
      Two years ago, "Stanley" posted to Distillers. org to say that he had been infected with Legionairies Disease by inhailling fumes from his Amazing Plastic Still. He felt that the low operating temp of this still was the cause. I am making a similiar evaporator to use at a similar or lower temp. Does his case have merit? Will I be at risk? It seems to me that anyone who works with any mash, wine, wort or wash is exposed as he opens his fermenter. Is Legionairies Disease a problem with home distillers?
    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mbodhorn" <mbodhorn@...> wrote:

        > Two years ago, "Stanley" posted to Distillers. org to say that he had been infected with Legionairies Disease by inhailling fumes from his Amazing Plastic Still. He felt that the low operating temp of this still was the cause. I am making a similiar evaporator to use at a similar or lower temp. Does his case have merit? Will I be at risk? It seems to me that anyone who works with any mash, wine, wort or wash is exposed as he opens his fermenter. Is Legionairies Disease a problem with home distillers?

        No; to all questions.

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
          Air from unserviced evaporation air conditioners is the source of Legionnaires disease (and possibly packed garden soil?)
          wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mbodhorn" <mbodhorn@...> wrote:

          > Two years ago, "Stanley" posted to Distillers. org to say that he had been infected with Legionairies Disease by inhailling fumes from his Amazing Plastic Still. He felt that the low operating temp of this still was the cause. I am making a similiar evaporator to use at a similar or lower temp. Does his case have merit? Will I be at risk? It seems to me that anyone who works with any mash, wine, wort or wash is exposed as he opens his fermenter. Is Legionairies Disease a problem with home distillers?

        • M W
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
            It's a bacterial infection of Legionella pneumophila, an aquatic bacteria; usually from inhaling an aerosol suspension of the bacteria; To get this from your still is unlikely. And they now know exactly what antibiotics to use for treatment.