Any comments on this book?

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2002
      It once was lost but now is found! While rooting around in my workshop cupboards in search of  my lawn mower manual I found a book on distilling that I thought had been out on "permanent loan" to one of my several friends who have access to my library and interests similar to our own.

      Does anybody else out there have a copy of:

      The Secrets of Building an Alcohol Producing Still
      Written and illustrated by Vincent R. Gingery
      Published by Vincent R. Gingery
      Fordland, Missouri
      Copyright 1994
      ISBN 1-878087-16-9

      This is the book that first inspired me to attempt the  hobby that I am now enjoying so much.  I now have most of the "standard" works on the subject - but just wondered if anyone out there had ever used, or heard of this book!  The author's preface is only tongue  in cheek.  This is actually a "how to" book for making potable spirits. Several chapters on:  making your own malt ; building the sprouting trays  ; drying the sprouts ; grinding the  malt ; mashing ; etc.

      The "tongue in cheek" preface reads as follows:

      "You can build this six gallon electric still, and use it to turn corn, sugar, and other materials into a concentrated fuel for almost any internal combustion engine. - etc."

      You don't have to read very closely between the lines go get the author's intent!

      But again my question - what do you think about this book?  I am quite certain that I'm not the only one that has it!