Re: Java still calculator / simulator (WIP)

  • gnikomson2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "landrover_ffr" <sid.rains@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My sill build is progressing (slowly) but as a part of the design
      phase I started to build a program to model the types of column stills
      we play with. It started as a way to bring together some of the
      information I've picked up along the way. Oh there is a lot of good info
      out there of which Tony's site being the nevana and the inspriation for
      me to get started.

      > There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes and they are all
      linked (packing, power, pot abv, reflux rate etc.), and it can be a bit
      hard to wrap my head around, so I build something to draw graphs of how
      things change through out a run (think Tony's website calculators with
      graphs).

      > It's not finished, and it might never be, but you can find it here
      http://www.chuckstuff.org/jDistill/launch.html if you would like to have
      a play. Once it's up to a standard that I'm happy with I'll open source
      it for others to look under the hood but I'm not ready to scare people
      to much just yet ;) but in the meantime I'll keep updating the version
      on the site above.

      > Have fun,
      > Sid

      Hi Sid,

      Good work man! There's a lot of potential there. Pics & 1000 words &
      all that. :)

      I threw something together just a few hours ago to help out with VM
      still understanding. Also very rough, but basically readable. I'll do
      another post, so I don't jack your thread.

    • landrover_ffr
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
        > Hi Sid,
        >
        > Good work man! There's a lot of potential there. Pics & 1000 words &
        > all that. :)
        >
        > I threw something together just a few hours ago to help out with VM
        > still understanding. Also very rough, but basically readable. I'll do
        > another post, so I don't jack your thread.
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Thanks Harry.
        I've released an updated version today and took on board your VM understanding as I'd done the same types of calculations myself.

        You nice picture inspired me to add a "Vapour Managment" section which lets people enter there VM diameters and value position. Using the entered column dia, power setting etc. it calculates the achived reflux rate and the vapour speed, reynold number and flow pattern at various points in the head, column and packing (uses a different equation).

        On a different note (might be more applicable to AD but..), in your experience in what loction would you place your value in a VM tee setup. The 2 options I have are;
        1) Right at the point the take exits the column
        2) After the elbow of the takeoff

        Option 1: Closer == Beter? Harder to reach, pushes product condensor further from column (i.e. more offset weight)
        Option 2: Easier to reach and construct but could act as a liquid trap during equlisation?

        Any words of wizdom?

        P.S. My value is a 32mm gate value, which is quite heavy.
        I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
      • M W
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
          Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
            I'd just like to say how impressed I am, that we have such a knowledge base available to our hobby... You guys sure are a credit, keep up the fantastic work
            !!

            - Chris

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M W <rd232d@...> wrote:

              > Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!

              Yes I will do. I intend to add a way to add new packings and edit the current ones.
              It would be nice to know the range of packings other are using beyond pot scrubbers and copper mesh (I'll be using copper lathe turings to start with)

              Regards,
              Sid.

              P.S.: I will rename the packing called "S/S Wool" to "Scrubbers" as the paramters should be roughly the same for copper as s/steel. The differences would be rather small when compared to variations in the way people "pack" them in their column ;)
            • landrover_ffr
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
                Agreed Chris, there are some cleaver buggers about and thankfully they are more than willing to help us mere mortals to improve our elixor!

                Regards,
                Sid.
              • KM Services
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009

                  This is the kind I buy Locally ( Bin Inn if in NZ)  which look like this link off the net http://tinyurl.com/l5p4og

                  Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
                    > > Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add
                    > other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!
                    > >

                    > Yes I will do. I intend to add a way to add new packings
                    > and edit the current ones.
                    > It would be nice to know the range of packings other are
                    > using beyond pot scrubbers and copper mesh (I'll be using
                    > copper lathe turings to start with)
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Sid.
                    >
                    > P.S.: I will rename the packing called "S/S Wool" to
                    > "Scrubbers" as the paramters should be roughly the same for
                    > copper as s/steel. The differences would be rather small
                    > when compared to variations in the way people "pack" them in
                    > their column ;)

                    Great! SS Scrubbers vs Cu Scrubbers would be different coefficients I'd think? So much to remember LOL