Thinking of going to an electric burner

  • lv2blade2
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6 8:28 PM
      I have been using propane but, with winter coming I was thinking of switching to an electric burner. Can anyone suggest a good one? I was looking at the induction burner by Anvanti at wally world. Thanks Hill
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6 9:27 PM

        All depends on the size of your boiler and type as I gather (from previous posts)for the stock pot size the hot plates are okay, anything bigger (like kegs)there is heat loss and difficulty maintaining the heat. I would out of preference suggest internal elements as I have installed in my 50 Litre Keg. I personally have 2# elements both 1500 watt.  I bring to the boil with both then cut back to one for the run.

        Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7 8:48 AM

          Hi Hill,

          The only hot plate i've seen at wally world is a 500 watt for 18.00 dollars.  In my opinion this is way too small for distilling purposes.  Again as Ken stated, it really depends on the size and type of your boiler.  If your using a regular type stock pot that could be anywhere from 4 to 25 gallons or more, I would probably go with no less then an 1100 to 1500 watt hot plate.  Check out Mile High  Distilling heat sources (Denver, Co) : http://www.milehidistilling.com/Moonshine_still_burners_s/7.htm they have a good selection.

          But again, as Ken stated, if your doing the keg route (with recessed bottoms) the internal heating elements are the way to go (sometimes a problem with cleaning if burnt), when distilling with solids in the fermentation without clearing.  Let us know what type of boiler your using...

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7 2:35 PM

            As to cleaning when you use internal elements if something catches on the elements I have found that using a home water blaster with the whirly type wand attached works a treat to remove any stubborn muck. As I use sugar washes and turbo clear this issue hardly occurs, but as routine maintenance do give the boiler a birthday every now and again with the water blaster

            Ken Mc

            But again, as Ken stated, if your doing the keg route (with recessed bottoms) the internal heating elements are the way to go (sometimes a problem with cleaning if burnt), when distilling with solids in the fermentation without clearing.  Let us know what type of boiler your using...

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

          • alan
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
              I have a 1000watt hot plate that I picked up from Walgreens for only US9.99. It worked flawlessly for my water-test.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

              > As to cleaning when you use internal elements if something catches on the
              > elements I have found that using a home water blaster with the whirly type
              > wand attached works a treat to remove any stubborn muck. As I use sugar
              > washes and turbo clear this issue hardly occurs, but as routine maintenance
              > do give the boiler a birthday every now and again with the water blaster
              >

              > Ken Mc
              >
              > But again, as Ken stated, if your doing the keg route (with recessed
              > bottoms) the internal heating elements are the way to go (sometimes a
              > problem with cleaning if burnt), when distilling with solids in the
              > fermentation without clearing. Let us know what type of boiler your
              > using...
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              >
              > Jim aka Waldo.

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2009
                I replaced the 120V element in my water heater boiler with a 208V 2500W unit.  My effective wattage is around 1440, It is over twice as long as the original one, so lots more surface area.  I have had no issue at all with burnt grain wort in it.  It takes 3 gallons to reach the hole in the side of the 20 gallon heater, so I never put less than 6 gallons of liquid in it, generally I shoot for 8.