Re: Failing fermentation

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

      Yuppers Thomas,

      Your also correct in that aspect.  You cannot mix regular ol' Baker's Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) with S. Bayanus strains like EC-1118 or K!V-1116, (almost all Turbo yeasts brands use S. Bayanus strains), since these faster acting,  fermenting strains will kill off the wild yeasts and slower growth yeasts like S. Cerevisiae.

      But me thinks, as does Ken,  that Luc was trying to stack to much Turbo yeast together for his large fermentation volume, rather than trying to do it in smaller lots.

      Since he is also  living in a very hot (tropical) climate it seems, Me thinks he would be better off using the Native Danstil EDV 493 yeast that was first cultivated off of sugar cane in the French Carribean and can withstand much higher temps than our Baker, wine or champagne yeasts...

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
        I still think the Danstil-493 would be a better choice for Luc's hot
        climate. It is used in most rum production in the Carribean, and can
        withstand 35C. However, Luc now will have to consider including yeast
        nutrients with his fermentations (which are included in Turbo Yeasts).
        He should also start looking into rum making and/or start boiling down
        his sugar cane juice to increase the sugar contents.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
          Jim,
          Check yer email.