Java still calculator / simulator (WIP)

  • landrover_ffr
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2009
      Hi,

      My sill build is progressing (slowly) but as a part of the design phase I started to build a program to model the types of column stills we play with. It started as a way to bring together some of the information I've picked up along the way. Oh there is a lot of good info out there of which Tony's site being the nevana and the inspriation for me to get started.

      There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes and they are all linked (packing, power, pot abv, reflux rate etc.), and it can be a bit hard to wrap my head around, so I build something to draw graphs of how things change through out a run (think Tony's website calculators with graphs).

      It's not finished, and it might never be, but you can find it here http://www.chuckstuff.org/jDistill/launch.html if you would like to have a play. Once it's up to a standard that I'm happy with I'll open source it for others to look under the hood but I'm not ready to scare people to much just yet ;) but in the meantime I'll keep updating the version on the site above.

      Have fun,
      Sid
    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "landrover_ffr" <sid.rains@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My sill build is progressing (slowly) but as a part of the design
        phase I started to build a program to model the types of column stills
        we play with. It started as a way to bring together some of the
        information I've picked up along the way. Oh there is a lot of good info
        out there of which Tony's site being the nevana and the inspriation for
        me to get started.

        > There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes and they are all
        linked (packing, power, pot abv, reflux rate etc.), and it can be a bit
        hard to wrap my head around, so I build something to draw graphs of how
        things change through out a run (think Tony's website calculators with
        graphs).

        > It's not finished, and it might never be, but you can find it here
        http://www.chuckstuff.org/jDistill/launch.html if you would like to have
        a play. Once it's up to a standard that I'm happy with I'll open source
        it for others to look under the hood but I'm not ready to scare people
        to much just yet ;) but in the meantime I'll keep updating the version
        on the site above.

        > Have fun,
        > Sid

        Hi Sid,

        Good work man! There's a lot of potential there. Pics & 1000 words &
        all that. :)

        I threw something together just a few hours ago to help out with VM
        still understanding. Also very rough, but basically readable. I'll do
        another post, so I don't jack your thread.

      • landrover_ffr
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
          > Hi Sid,
          >
          > Good work man! There's a lot of potential there. Pics & 1000 words &
          > all that. :)
          >
          > I threw something together just a few hours ago to help out with VM
          > still understanding. Also very rough, but basically readable. I'll do
          > another post, so I don't jack your thread.
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Thanks Harry.
          I've released an updated version today and took on board your VM understanding as I'd done the same types of calculations myself.

          You nice picture inspired me to add a "Vapour Managment" section which lets people enter there VM diameters and value position. Using the entered column dia, power setting etc. it calculates the achived reflux rate and the vapour speed, reynold number and flow pattern at various points in the head, column and packing (uses a different equation).

          On a different note (might be more applicable to AD but..), in your experience in what loction would you place your value in a VM tee setup. The 2 options I have are;
          1) Right at the point the take exits the column
          2) After the elbow of the takeoff

          Option 1: Closer == Beter? Harder to reach, pushes product condensor further from column (i.e. more offset weight)
          Option 2: Easier to reach and construct but could act as a liquid trap during equlisation?

          Any words of wizdom?

          P.S. My value is a 32mm gate value, which is quite heavy.
          I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
        • M W
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
            Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
              I'd just like to say how impressed I am, that we have such a knowledge base available to our hobby... You guys sure are a credit, keep up the fantastic work
              !!

              - Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M W <rd232d@...> wrote:

                > Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!

                Yes I will do. I intend to add a way to add new packings and edit the current ones.
                It would be nice to know the range of packings other are using beyond pot scrubbers and copper mesh (I'll be using copper lathe turings to start with)

                Regards,
                Sid.

                P.S.: I will rename the packing called "S/S Wool" to "Scrubbers" as the paramters should be roughly the same for copper as s/steel. The differences would be rather small when compared to variations in the way people "pack" them in their column ;)
              • landrover_ffr
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
                  Agreed Chris, there are some cleaver buggers about and thankfully they are more than willing to help us mere mortals to improve our elixor!

                  Regards,
                  Sid.
                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009

                    This is the kind I buy Locally ( Bin Inn if in NZ)  which look like this link off the net http://tinyurl.com/l5p4og

                    Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
                      > > Interesting; I would like to suggest some way to add
                      > other packings like Copper Scrubbers maybe? Thanks!
                      > >

                      > Yes I will do. I intend to add a way to add new packings
                      > and edit the current ones.
                      > It would be nice to know the range of packings other are
                      > using beyond pot scrubbers and copper mesh (I'll be using
                      > copper lathe turings to start with)
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Sid.
                      >
                      > P.S.: I will rename the packing called "S/S Wool" to
                      > "Scrubbers" as the paramters should be roughly the same for
                      > copper as s/steel. The differences would be rather small
                      > when compared to variations in the way people "pack" them in
                      > their column ;)

                      Great! SS Scrubbers vs Cu Scrubbers would be different coefficients I'd think? So much to remember LOL