Re: Failing fermentation

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

      Sidenote Luc,

      Also sounds like you live in a tropical area - especially getting hold of all that sugar cane juice (im jealous ;)).  Tis a good idea to always keep your yeasts in the refridge to extend usable life.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
        Last year we began a 300 litre wine fermentation in 40C heat - a temperature that killed the wine yeast. Ended with an unwanted sweet red!
        wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lucvanheel" <ethyl@...> wrote:

        > Hello All
        >
        > First I tried my cane juice to ferment, with Turbo yeast,nothing happened! then I went reading again, addedd bakers yeast with extra nuitrients it bubled for 12 hrs and than died, it all got to warm.
        > I did distill the lot, the 803 performed wonderfull, out of the botched wash 170L cane juice I got 2 L 180% It just proved that he column worked, but not much more.
        >
        > Night teperatures here 24C day time 34C. April May it goes up to 45C in the shade.
        > I now made 2 cooling coils for my 2 fermantation tubs (112L each) with a submergable 12V pump in a 100 liter coolerbox where I keep on adding Ice, you can by big blocks here for about 50Cent a block.
        > Now for 1 $ a day the temp in the tanks stays between 20 to 26C wich is witin the limits printed on the Turbo.
        > Yesterday I made a pure sugar wash as instructed on the Turbo packet, and kept it all cool, 24 Hrs later I still have a Oe reading of a 100,
        > +/- 15% alcohol, but no sign of fermentation, not 1 bubble. 15% is wat I started of with!
        > Did something happend like this to someone else before? Any advice to get this restarted? Having to trow away 140 liters sugar wash would hurt.
        > Regards
        > Luc.

      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

          Gidday Luc,

          Can I just add to Jim’s comments and say that turbo’s are intended for the Hobby distiller and geared to the 20 to 25 litre wash with a quick turn around time with highish ABV and most are not generally “stackable”. Some like Code 6 ( lower ABV and slower fermenting)  can be stacked to make a 50 litre maybe 75 litre wash size, but, not much further. I am sure if you are doing washes as high as X7 over the 25 litre size you would need to get commercial yeast that can cope with stacking to that size.

          Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

          Hi Luc,

          Just a quick question, if I may add my 2 cent worth.. you say you doing
          a 170 liter wash. What type / make of Turbo yeast are you using and how
          many packets did you use>?? Most packets are only good for a 25 to 30
          liter wash.

          Also as Harry stated, check out the expiration date on your packs. The
          idea of wrapping your fermenter in wet cloths is also a good idea.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

            Exactly correct Ken,

            Believe its better to make several smaller fermentations then one large one.  Also will cause way too much heat due to the fast ferementation, as Luc found out the hard way...

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

            > Gidday Luc,
            >
            > Can I just add to Jim's comments and say that turbo's are intended for the
            > Hobby distiller and geared to the 20 to 25 litre wash with a quick turn
            > around time with highish ABV and most are not generally "stackable". Some
            > like Code 6 ( lower ABV and slower fermenting) can be stacked to make a 50
            > litre maybe 75 litre wash size, but, not much further. I am sure if you are
            > doing washes as high as X7 over the 25 litre size you would need to get
            > commercial yeast that can cope with stacking to that size.
            >
            > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
            >
            > Hi Luc,
            >
            > Just a quick question, if I may add my 2 cent worth.. you say you doing
            > a 170 liter wash. What type / make of Turbo yeast are you using and how
            > many packets did you use>?? Most packets are only good for a 25 to 30
            > liter wash.
            >
            > Also as Harry stated, check out the expiration date on your packs. The
            > idea of wrapping your fermenter in wet cloths is also a good idea.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@ <mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>
            > yahoogroups.com, "lucvanheel" ethyl@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello All
            > >
            > > First I tried my cane juice to ferment, with Turbo yeast,nothing
            > happened! then I went reading again, addedd bakers yeast with extra
            > nuitrients it bubled for 12 hrs and than died, it all got to warm.
            > > I did distill the lot, the 803 performed wonderfull, out of the
            > botched wash 170L cane juice I got 2 L 180% It just proved that he
            > column worked, but not much more.
            > >
            > > Night teperatures here 24C day time 34C. April May it goes up to 45C
            > in the shade.
            > > I now made 2 cooling coils for my 2 fermantation tubs (112L each) with
            > a submergable 12V pump in a 100 liter coolerbox where I keep on adding
            > Ice, you can by big blocks here for about 50Cent a block.
            > > Now for 1 $ a day the temp in the tanks stays between 20 to 26C wich
            > is witin the limits printed on the Turbo.
            > > Yesterday I made a pure sugar wash as instructed on the Turbo packet,
            > and kept it all cool, 24 Hrs later I still have a Oe reading of a 100,
            > > +/- 15% alcohol, but no sign of fermentation, not 1 bubble. 15% is wat
            > I started of with!
            > > Did something happend like this to someone else before? Any advice to
            > get this restarted? Having to trow away 140 liters sugar wash would
            > hurt.
            > > Regards
            > > Luc.

          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

              Exactly Jim,

              I have 2# 25litre washes dying down and will be ready for the still this weekend (thinking of the Xmas stock)

              Ken Mc

              Exactly correct Ken,

              Believe we had this discussion on stacking Turbo yeasts this past year or so in The Advanced Distillers Forum - see: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /msearch? query=Stacking+ Turbo++Jim&charset=windows- 1252

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009

                Yuppers Thomas,

                Your also correct in that aspect.  You cannot mix regular ol' Baker's Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) with S. Bayanus strains like EC-1118 or K!V-1116, (almost all Turbo yeasts brands use S. Bayanus strains), since these faster acting,  fermenting strains will kill off the wild yeasts and slower growth yeasts like S. Cerevisiae.

                But me thinks, as does Ken,  that Luc was trying to stack to much Turbo yeast together for his large fermentation volume, rather than trying to do it in smaller lots.

                Since he is also  living in a very hot (tropical) climate it seems, Me thinks he would be better off using the Native Danstil EDV 493 yeast that was first cultivated off of sugar cane in the French Carribean and can withstand much higher temps than our Baker, wine or champagne yeasts...

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                  I still think the Danstil-493 would be a better choice for Luc's hot
                  climate. It is used in most rum production in the Carribean, and can
                  withstand 35C. However, Luc now will have to consider including yeast
                  nutrients with his fermentations (which are included in Turbo Yeasts).
                  He should also start looking into rum making and/or start boiling down
                  his sugar cane juice to increase the sugar contents.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 2009
                    Jim,
                    Check yer email.