Re: [new_distillers] Re: Intro.....

  • Rasputin Paracelsus
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
      I've been using a 17L boiler for my first attempt, and found that to be
      too small. Probably one wants to be able to put 5 imp. gal. into it to
      be really effective... (next boiler is about 45L).

      abbababbaccc wrote:
      > Sounds like a nice still for brandy and other flavored drinks. For neutral alcohol you should really consider a column packed with mesh or scrubbers. In hobby scale that's much more efficient than bubble caps if they are of same size. Also, if I were you I'd consider a larger boiler, from 9 liter boiler you get very little product for your efforts.
      >
      > Slainte, Riku
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Just thought as a new member that I should introduce myself and so on.
      >>

      >> As you can see from the sig line I'm mainly into gems and such, but it
      >> wasn't always so, at one point I get trained as a winemaker and spent some
      >> 14 years in the industry, for some of which I was working with a still that
      >> produced ~10,000Lals (litres of alcohol, corrected for water content) per
      >> day. So now that I'm out of the industry (due to an injury) I find myself
      >> loving to build things (don't matter much what so long as it's get lots of
      >> metal in it!), and well seeing as I have some experience I figure that a
      >> neat project for this go around would be a still, besides although I don't
      >> drink, I have lots of friends who do, so this will make entertaining a bit
      >> easier.
      >>

      >> The design I've decided to go with, more for the challenge than anything, is
      >> a modified pot still, with an eight plate fractioning column. The column
      >> will be 6" in diameter, and my pot is an old espresso coffee machine boiler
      >> with a safe capacity of 9L of wash. The get enough heat I've converted it to
      >> being gas fired, and have some 150,000btus to play with. The column will be
      >> of the bubbler cap type, and is an all copper affair (or will be). I figure
      >> that with this design I can make it a continuous still at some future point,
      >> if only for the challenge. <grin>
      >>

      >> Oh yeah I'm in Australia, Queensland to be a little more exact...
      >>

      >> Cheers, Thomas Janstrom.
      >>
      >> Little Gems.
      >>
      >> <http://tjlittlegems.com/index.htm> http://tjlittlegems.com

    • Thomas Janstrom
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009

        Yeah, but it will let me do the required testing while I finish converting the old laundry copper I picked up at a garage/yard sale last week. The copper’s capacity is ~50L at ¾ full and came with all the gas bits to hook it up to the mains….

        And again yes, I’m not so much interested in getting 96% purity (although the still I worked with 8 years ago averaged 95.6%) as in trying to keep the flavours true to the wash, in theory the 8 plates should get me to ~94%, but really I’ll be happy with 90-92%. <grin>

        Cheers, Thomas Janstrom.

        Little Gems.

        http://tjlittlegems.com