Re: purchase of a still

  • triddlywinks
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "w5tic" <w5tic@...> wrote:

      > I am thinking of purchasing a still. I would like to know if anyone has one that was made by Bluegrass Moonshine Stills. How is the quality of their work, and would their equipment be good for a new distiller? Also any horrer stories if they are a bad company
      > Thanks

      I would recommend against them. Here's 27 (and counting) pages of horror stories of them and other scammers of the hobby.
      http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10259

      It's the same information and hardware recycled from site to site. My personal red flag goes up whenever I hear the term "tilt reflux." It's the same people and reputation from one incarnation to the next.

      Also note: when a company has you write a personal check to an individual instead of the company, be extra suspicious. You'll also notice on the front page that they can't even spell that individual's name correctly on the "official order form."

      Caveat emptor, use your own judgement, but my personal advice would be to avoid them completely.

      Trid
      -prefer DIY, so I don't know of any particular manufacturer that I *would* recommend
    • just me
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009
        welcome to the group. i have no experience with them. but i can highly recommend brewhaus.

        just me
        "....I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at
        all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."

        John Steinbeck's 'Travels With Charley'
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009

          Yes,

          Listen to Trid.  They have a Very bad reputation.  If you want top quality US made copper pot stills, go to http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/  - Col. Wilson's site.  Excellent quality (bit tres cher - but all copper)  - has some reflux too.  Dana, who runs a professional distillery just purchased one of the 30 gallon ones.   If your looking for a good reflux column, Riku (a noted still designer and author and Co-Moderator) would prorbably recommend the PDA - 1 column from the Amphora society.   http://www.amphora-society.com/  if your living down under (think they also ship in the US).  You could also check out Brewhaus - Rick Morris is a member here and is very reputable also - http://www.brewhaus.com/

           Contact info:  rick.morris@...

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.