Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [new_distillers] Re: Hi

Expand Messages
  • KM Services
    Even simper still is the use of blender! Usually I will carbon filter my grog to the required strength and then give it 10 minutes in the blender prior to
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 31 8:30 PM
    • 0 Attachment

      Even simper still is the use of blender! Usually I will carbon filter my grog to the required strength and then give it 10 minutes in the blender prior to bottling or storing. If flavouring will put essence in at this stage and give it a good wizz. As Bob has said you will loose a percent or two so allow for that

       

      Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

       


      From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of tgfoitwoods
      Sent: Tuesday, 1 September 2009 2:49 p.m.
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Hi

       

       Mad Hatter,

      You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.

      As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US . The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.

      You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@ ...> wrote:

      >
      ----snip----
      >
      > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure
      of aerating after distillation. ..is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?
      >
      > --Mad Hatter
      >
      ----snip----

    • jazzdoren2k3
      Geez, I feel so stupid. I ve read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking airbed pump was something else for the
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Geez, I feel so stupid. I've read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking "airbed" pump was something else for the aquarium. Finally it dawned on me - we're talking about the "oversized raft" commonly used in camping...or on my bunk in my rig!! Now I know exactly what we're talking about. My question now becomes - I know the output nozzle is approximately 3/4" on the battery powered pump we have on the truck...what do you recommend for reducing that to the 3/8" that you said I should use on the copper tubing?

        I know I saw someone say 10 minutes if doing it in a blender -- how long should I do it with the airbed pump? Since it's said that it will reduce the ABV, I was thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts) to angel blast an undiluted product, then measure the ABV and dilute down from there...?

        Thanks for the clarifications. I needed an excuse to buy one of those pumps anyways!

        --Mad Hatter

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >
        > Mad Hatter,
        >
        > You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.
        >
        > As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US. The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.
        >
        > You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@> wrote:
        > >
        > ----snip----
        > >
        > > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure of aerating after distillation...is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?
        > >
        > > --Mad Hatter
        > >
        > ----snip----
        >
      • tgfoitwoods
        Hi Mad Hatter, Yup, it s a raft pump I ve been talking about. Sorry I didn t make that more clear. On my particular pump, a Coleman, there are a couple of
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Mad Hatter,

          Yup, it's a "raft pump" I've been talking about. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. On my particular pump, a Coleman, there are a couple of plastic adapters that lock into the pump's outlet hole, and one of them is a perfect fit to have standard vinyl hose pushed *inside* the adapter, so snugly it would probably stay without silicone seal. I sealed it anyway.

          I can't tell you the nominal size of that hose, but it fits exactly *over* the 3/8" copper of the wand. I use a hose clamp to secure it there.

          Although I'm still kinda new at angel blasting, I've been using between 5 and 10 minutes. You can smell the hotter, lighter fractions in the vapor blown out of your jug/carboy, and the process really does smooth your spirit. Also, if you later want more smoothing, you can do it again.

          Hope this helps.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:
          >
          > Geez, I feel so stupid. I've read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking "airbed" pump was something else for the aquarium. Finally it dawned on me - we're talking about the "oversized raft" commonly used in camping...or on my bunk in my rig!! Now I know exactly what we're talking about. My question now becomes - I know the output nozzle is approximately 3/4" on the battery powered pump we have on the truck...what do you recommend for reducing that to the 3/8" that you said I should use on the copper tubing?
          >
          > I know I saw someone say 10 minutes if doing it in a blender -- how long should I do it with the airbed pump? Since it's said that it will reduce the ABV, I was thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts) to angel blast an undiluted product, then measure the ABV and dilute down from there...?
          >
          > Thanks for the clarifications. I needed an excuse to buy one of those pumps anyways!
          >
          > --Mad Hatter
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
          > >
          ----snip----
        • jazzdoren2k3
          Z-Bob... That helped a lot, and since I get these forwarded to my e-mail on my phone, I ve all day to read and ponder to come up with what I hope will be my
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Z-Bob...
            That helped a lot, and since I get these forwarded to my e-mail on my phone, I've all day to read and ponder to come up with what I hope will be my final questions about angel blasting before starting the process on Friday...

            Do you blast your spirits before or after you've diluted down to a 40-50% ABV?

            Where did you get the vinyl hose?

            I bought some activated charcoal that is waiting for me at home to filter through. Would/Should I charcoal filter then angel blast, or angel blast, then charcoal filter. I guess this question kinda ties in to the first question since I've been advised to dilute prior to charcoal filtering...

            I do believe these are the last questions I'll come up with about this - and I'm very excited to do it. Even though my first batches were quick ones (turbo yeast -- when I arrive at home tomorrow I'm cooking up my first batch of the MUM to distill next week), the product wasn't terrible. It wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't terrible, so I'm thinking that these two steps will at least improve "not terrible" to "acceptable"...and then when I do them to the MUM wash - then maybe I'll get close to great.

            Thanks again for all your help Z-Bob. It's much appreciated!
            --Mad Hatter

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Mad Hatter,
            >
            > Yup, it's a "raft pump" I've been talking about. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. On my particular pump, a Coleman, there are a couple of plastic adapters that lock into the pump's outlet hole, and one of them is a perfect fit to have standard vinyl hose pushed *inside* the adapter, so snugly it would probably stay without silicone seal. I sealed it anyway.
            >
            > I can't tell you the nominal size of that hose, but it fits exactly *over* the 3/8" copper of the wand. I use a hose clamp to secure it there.
            >
            > Although I'm still kinda new at angel blasting, I've been using between 5 and 10 minutes. You can smell the hotter, lighter fractions in the vapor blown out of your jug/carboy, and the process really does smooth your spirit. Also, if you later want more smoothing, you can do it again.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
            >
          • tgfoitwoods
            ... Usually at my last concentration in the aging process before the bottling dilution, so 50-55%ABV. ... Neighborhood hardware store. ... As a general rule I
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:
              >
              > Z-Bob...
              > That helped a lot, and since I get these forwarded to my e-mail on my phone, I've all day to read and ponder to come up with what I hope will be my final questions about angel blasting before starting the process on Friday...
              >
              > Do you blast your spirits before or after you've diluted down to a 40-50% ABV?

              Usually at my last concentration in the aging process before the bottling dilution, so 50-55%ABV.
              >
              > Where did you get the vinyl hose?

              Neighborhood hardware store.
              >
              > I bought some activated charcoal that is waiting for me at home to filter through. Would/Should I charcoal filter then angel blast, or angel blast, then charcoal filter. I guess this question kinda ties in to the first question since I've been advised to dilute prior to charcoal filtering...

              As a general rule I don't use charcoal, for 2 reasons. First, most of what I do is "flavored" spirit, whisk(e)ys, brandies, rums, and so on, and charcoal filtering just removes all the flavors I worked so hard to get in my booze. Second, the only unflavored spirit I do is Mason's MUM wash, and that's so clean it doesn't seem to need charcoal, whereas many high-performance yeasts certainly do.
              >
              > I do believe these are the last questions I'll come up with about this - and I'm very excited to do it. Even though my first batches were quick ones (turbo yeast -- when I arrive at home tomorrow I'm cooking up my first batch of the MUM to distill next week), the product wasn't terrible. It wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't terrible, so I'm thinking that these two steps will at least improve "not terrible" to "acceptable"...and then when I do them to the MUM wash - then maybe I'll get close to great.
              >
              > Thanks again for all your help Z-Bob. It's much appreciated!
              > --Mad Hatter

              You are *very* welcome.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              >
              ----snip----
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.