Re: Pot still or Reflux----?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2009

      Hey Junk,

      While thumpers (or doublers) do add another theoretical plate,   as ZB said they do add some layer of problems.  First, it takes alot longer  to heat up and start getting any output.  Secondly,  you better have a very leak proof still, because thumpers produce quite a bit of back pressure...  I have played with them and found it just simpler to do a stripping run (or 2) and then do the spirits run...  There are many pictures of pot still designs in our photo section on the left as well as on Tony's Homedistillers site at:  http://www.homedistiller.org/

      My pot still now has either a 1/2 "  or 1"  x 2 foot riser (depending on what im a doing),  connected to a 1/2 " 45 degree downwards  lyne arme, and makes very nice whiskey, rums and brandies.  But as ZB said, you can go to 2 " if ya want.  But would make it at least 2 feet high.  That way you could pack it and get up to about a 90 % ABV if you want to do some neutral stuff.  Anything higer then 85 to 90 %  ABV,  your going to have to go to a reflux still.

      HTH

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.