Re: vodka reflux column

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "davereno83" <davereno83@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody! I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion for a reflux column design.I am trying to get a real clean tasting neutral spirit. I currently am using a 30x2 in column from Mile-Hi and polishing the end spirit with carbon. Even with multiple runs the end spirit is pretty fiery when it hits the gut.

      You dont mention making any cuts so I will have to assume you didnt make any. Cuts still have to be made even/especially with a reflux rig when looking for neutral spirit. What was the abv of the spirit coming out. I can attest that the spirit doesnt become close to neutral until you reach the 95% mark.
      My feeling is that the "fiery" characteristic that you speak of is because you did not make a proper heads cut. However if I am speaking out of turn on this then you may want to consider Aerating the finished and diluted spirit and then let it age for 3-4 weeks. According to what I have read, many of the commercial distilleries for gin and vodka dont send product out the door until it has aged for a month.
      If you truly think that your equipment is the issue then I would consider building a VM rig from copper tubing or modifying your current rig from mile hi.

      Mason
    • davereno83
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2009

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "davereno83" <davereno83@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi everybody! I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion for a reflux column design.I am trying to get a real clean tasting neutral spirit. I currently am using a 30x2 in column from Mile-Hi and polishing the end spirit with carbon. Even with multiple runs the end spirit is pretty fiery when it hits the gut.
        > >

        > You dont mention making any cuts so I will have to assume you didnt make any. Cuts still have to be made even/especially with a reflux rig when looking for neutral spirit. What was the abv of the spirit coming out. I can attest that the spirit doesnt become close to neutral until you reach the 95% mark.
        > My feeling is that the "fiery" characteristic that you speak of is because you did not make a proper heads cut. However if I am speaking out of turn on this then you may want to consider Aerating the finished and diluted spirit and then let it age for 3-4 weeks. According to what I have read, many of the commercial distilleries for gin and vodka dont send product out the door until it has aged for a month.
        > If you truly think that your equipment is the issue then I would consider building a VM rig from copper tubing or modifying your current rig from mile hi.
        >
        > Mason

        Hey thanks Mason, I am making the cuts as best I can. (I am pretty new to this)The ABV on the end spirit is always around 95%. Could you clarify what a VM rig is?
        Also, I have been using your MUM recipe+cornflakes for several weeks now(in a potstill) and have been collecting the different cuts in, you quessed it,Mason jars. Any suggestions on making the cuts? I have also been adding some of the sourmash back into the next batch(I collect up up to 99'C on the first run)My plan is to produce 5 gal and the age it in a charred oak barrel for a year-1 1/2 years.
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2009
          I'd suggest you to try the Vapor Management design or if you want to go high tech the Automatic Reflux Control or E-ARC. Plans for old style ARC can be found at http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/ in the book "Simple low cost stills".

          In general a one meter packed height 2" column with scrubbers or mesh as a packing can produce neutral 95.6% ethanol. The difficulty is building a still head that makes it easy.

          Slainte, Riku