Re: Improving a still

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2009
      Hi Peter,

      Being a simple pot distiller, im sure some of the reflux people around
      here can give you some pointers on how to equalize your column better
      for higher ABV - usually by doing a slower heating process and slowing
      down the output.

      As far as putting high ABV ethanol for storage in plastic containers, I
      doubt the shops are selling them for that purpose - more like for
      fermentation purposes. Unless they are made of PET plastic that has
      been coated with ethanol resistant coatings (like the plastic liquor
      bottles sold), I still would be hesitant to put anything over 100 proof
      ethanol in them - be safe - use glass.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peterxyz8" <peterxyz8@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone
      > I've been distilling for a short while and would like to improve what
      I doing.
      > I'm using a super reflux still (Wildfire I think) and get about 80%
      purity using a white sugar wash made with alcotel yeast.
      > Is it possible to improve the working of the still to enable me to get
      95% purity? or do I have to run it through the still again?
      > Also while I'm at it, Is it alright to store ones whiskey in the 1.125
      litre plastic bottles sold by brew shops or does the alcohol break down
      the plastic?