Re: [new_distillers] Re: Aerating wash - any benefits?

  • Rasputin Paracelsus
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2009
      Hi ZBob,

      Sorry for the delay, just back on the ground.

      What I do is that I sparge, boil with hops loosely, then run that
      through the grain bed an additional time to strain out the hops. Mainly
      it's because I don't have a grate to keep the hops from going through
      the chiller.

      Some feel there's a risk of contamination by doing that, but I've never
      had a problem... consider that it's boiling when it hits the grain
      bed.... Of course, one has to be gentle, so as not to stir up the bed,
      or it won't make a good filter.

      Then I run it through a condensing coil (basically a very long liebig in
      coil form) and into the 45L carboy.