new mile-hi still

  • troutscout48
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2009
      Yes, after viewing youtube video of new mile-hi still with water jacket reflux condenser,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39AZPle0LRI, I've come to believe that it may be what I want.
      Obviously, the reflux condenser is only at the top of the 30" column. What I want to do is run it as a pot still after I've compressed the heads. This will allow me to slowly remove the heads after equilizing the column. Then, simply switch the water lines to disable the reflux condenser. With only one roll of copper in the column, I can run fast to get the flavors I want through the heads. I'll pull the tails out into half-pint jars and mix and match.
      Want to run DWWG first. Then UJSSM rye. Then peated malt DWWG for SwMBO.
      More mixing and matching.
      Obviously, I've been lurking here for years. Have read The entire advanced distiller group from post one, Tony's site, as well as home distiller forum and all of AD. These are my first posts as I have only now gotten a place to still.
      My heritage comes from watching my black-sheep uncle's people make his corn and peach when I was in grade school. They used to throw wet towsacks on the still head to slow the collection while they were heating up. This made the heads accumulate at the still head. Water was dripped on the sacks until Uncle Jonas said "let'er rip. Then the towsacks came off and two or three shovels of coals were added. Heads were already in the fire and tails were not taken. He and his people made a living off that and some barbeque, Texas-style, catering.
      I'll keep you appraised with my progress.
      thanx,
      rich
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2009
        Welcome Rich,

        About heads collection, you can do the same thing with any reflux still. Collect heads at numerically high reflux ratio and then switch to zero reflux. The bonus thing with better reflux still designs is that they give you more precise control and they are much better at producing neutral alcohol if you want to experiment with that. The mile high design is NOT a cutting edge technology by any means and is not well suited for neutral alcohol production. With better designs you'd also get less heads.

        Slainte, Riku