Re: Barley

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 12, 2009
      Hi again Snow,

      Yes, you can use pearl barley. Its nothing more then regular barley
      that has had the husks removed, then steamed to remove the bran, and is
      then polished or "pearled".

      However, it is not malted and does not contain any of the alpha and beta
      amylase enzymes required to convert the grain starches to sugars.
      Therefore, your going to have to either add sugar ala the UJSSM method
      or use the BA - GA-100 enzymes that Mason uses and is familar with.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236"
      <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

      > Hey Group
      > I was picking up a few things at the store today and came across some
      "Pearl Barley". Is there any reason why I couldn't use this in with 4lbs
      corn, 2lbs rye flour, and say two pounds of pearl barley?