50 lbs of rolled corn

  • canadianguy236
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
      Hi Group
      I just picked up 50 lbs of corn and would like to turn it into some good ole corn whiskey. This would be my first attempt at using grains so I was hoping you fella's could give me some tips. I have some BA-100
      and GA-100 enzyme's as well as some Coppers Brewer's yeast. I can use 2
      30 liter meshes if I need to as I would like to make approx 5 liters of whiskey to fill a 5 liter oak barrel when all said and done. Any ratio's would really help me out on the above.

      Thanks,

      Snowman
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2009

        Hi Snow,

        Welp if ya want to git your hands wet and dirty, try doing your first all grain mash.  However,  good ol' corn whikey is better with some malted barley (or unmalted since you have the enzymes)  and a bit of rye or wheat.  Check it out in Tony's site: http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm#mashing

        But since you have the BA and GA-100 Alpha and Beta Amylase enzymes, you could just mash the corn by itself - or do the UJSSM method.  But either way, I fully recommend going the sour mash route - be it all grain, or UJSSM.

        Up to ya'll.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group
        > I just picked up 50 lbs of corn and would like to turn it into some good ole corn whiskey. This would be my first attempt at using grains so I was hoping you fella's could give me some tips. I have some BA-100
        > and GA-100 enzyme's as well as some Coppers Brewer's yeast. I can use 2
        > 30 liter meshes if I need to as I would like to make approx 5 liters of whiskey to fill a 5 liter oak barrel when all said and done. Any ratio's would really help me out on the above.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Snowman

      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

          > Hi Group
          > I just picked up 50 lbs of corn and would like to turn it into some good ole corn whiskey. This would be my first attempt at using grains so I was hoping you fella's could give me some tips. I have some BA-100
          > and GA-100 enzyme's as well as some Coppers Brewer's yeast. I can use 2
          > 30 liter meshes if I need to as I would like to make approx 5 liters of whiskey to fill a 5 liter oak barrel when all said and done. Any ratio's would really help me out on the above.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Snowman

          The title of your post says rolled corn. Is this Flaked Maize?
          http://www.brewhaus.com/Flaked-Maize-50lbs-P875.aspx
          or are you just using cracked corn from the feed store. The difference between the way you process them is important. Flaked Maize needs to be added to water that is around 172-178F whereas the cracked corn needs to be added to boiling water and allowed to gelatinize for an hour or so.
          I agree with Jim that Corn whiskey can benifit from other grains, Especially Rye. Barley then wheat are my choices. Rye flour can be bought almost anywhere and the Hodgson Mills brand comes in the perfect 2 pound box.
          I have been experimenting with all grain mashes more and more lately and I am still sold on the BA100 and GA100 enzymes. While traditional mashing with Malt seems to ferment faster and also more actively, My yields are still consistently higher using these enzymes.
          As far as ratios go, I have also been playing around with that based on 2 pounds of grain. In my case a feed stock/scratch feed blend for chickens made of Cracked corn, Wheat Berries and Milo. The Wheat and Milo are whole so I run everything back through my Mill to crack them.
          The reason for using 2 lbs is 2 fold. A. I have been trying to find what I feel is a good ratio of grain to water and B. It's easier to work with and and I can strip it easily in my 7 quart stove top rig while watching TV with the wife. A Win Win.
          Using the enzymes and larger mashes I had been using 2lbs/gallon total volume. The Fermented mashes really never seemed to achieve that alcohol/beer smell. At 2lbs and 1.5Gallons total volume things smelled a little stronger. 1 Lb/gal is what I will strip tonight. If yield is the same to the 1.5 gal mash then I will be satisfied with the that.
          Rye is Unique in that in unmalted form it already has Amylase enzyme present so if you add it do so at strike temp.
          Also. You say you are looking for 5L of product. Corn produces in the neighborhood of 1 gallon (3.8L) of 95% etho for every 22lbs. So 30lbs properly fermented and distilled with good cuts should get you what you are looking for. I think most of us would put it in the Barrel at 60-70%abv.

          Mason
        • canadianguy236
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2009
            Mason

            The tag on the bag is marked "Flatted Corn" I'm assuming that I will have to add this to boiling water for an hour correct? To gelatinize.
            I'm looking to ferment about 6 gallons total volume so using 8 lbs grain should work quite nicely. If I decide to add some rye flour to the batch, how much rye flour should I use to ratio of the corn, 25%? Would I then just add it to the corn mesh once its cooled down to 172-178 and let this stand for another hour or so?

            I found no information on the enzyme packaging on how much to add to a mesh. Any hints on this one? As well I have a package of yeast nutrients, how much do you recommend I use in a batch? If any. (I'm using 6 gal for fermenting)

            Thanks again!

            Snowman

            > The title of your post says rolled corn. Is this Flaked Maize?
            > http://www.brewhaus.com/Flaked-Maize-50lbs-P875.aspx
            > or are you just using cracked corn from the feed store. The difference between the way you process them is important. Flaked Maize needs to be added to water that is around 172-178F whereas the cracked corn needs to be added to boiling water and allowed to gelatinize for an hour or so.
            > I agree with Jim that Corn whiskey can benifit from other grains, Especially Rye. Barley then wheat are my choices. Rye flour can be bought almost anywhere and the Hodgson Mills brand comes in the perfect 2 pound box.
            > I have been experimenting with all grain mashes more and more lately and I am still sold on the BA100 and GA100 enzymes. While traditional mashing with Malt seems to ferment faster and also more actively, My yields are still consistently higher using these enzymes.
            > As far as ratios go, I have also been playing around with that based on 2 pounds of grain. In my case a feed stock/scratch feed blend for chickens made of Cracked corn, Wheat Berries and Milo. The Wheat and Milo are whole so I run everything back through my Mill to crack them.
            > The reason for using 2 lbs is 2 fold. A. I have been trying to find what I feel is a good ratio of grain to water and B. It's easier to work with and and I can strip it easily in my 7 quart stove top rig while watching TV with the wife. A Win Win.
            > Using the enzymes and larger mashes I had been using 2lbs/gallon total volume. The Fermented mashes really never seemed to achieve that alcohol/beer smell. At 2lbs and 1.5Gallons total volume things smelled a little stronger. 1 Lb/gal is what I will strip tonight. If yield is the same to the 1.5 gal mash then I will be satisfied with the that.
            > Rye is Unique in that in unmalted form it already has Amylase enzyme present so if you add it do so at strike temp.
            > Also. You say you are looking for 5L of product. Corn produces in the neighborhood of 1 gallon (3.8L) of 95% etho for every 22lbs. So 30lbs properly fermented and distilled with good cuts should get you what you are looking for. I think most of us would put it in the Barrel at 60-70%abv.
            >
            > Mason

          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

              > Mason
              >
              > The tag on the bag is marked "Flatted Corn" I'm assuming that I will have to add this to boiling water for an hour correct? To gelatinize.
              > I'm looking to ferment about 6 gallons total volume so using 8 lbs grain should work quite nicely. If I decide to add some rye flour to the batch, how much rye flour should I use to ratio of the corn, 25%? Would I then just add it to the corn mesh once its cooled down to 172-178 and let this stand for another hour or so?
              >
              > I found no information on the enzyme packaging on how much to add to a mesh. Any hints on this one? As well I have a package of yeast nutrients, how much do you recommend I use in a batch? If any. (I'm using 6 gal for fermenting)
              >
              > Thanks again!
              >
              > Snowman

              I went through a few search engines and couldnt find any info on Flatted Corn. Even called the local feed store down here and they never heard of it. Must be a Yank er I mean Up north thing. :)
              Any chance you can send me/us a pic of a pile of the stuff.
              By the way, its "Mash" not "Mesh".
              Enzyme Instructions:

              I would add the stuff to boiling water just to be on the safe side.
              As for adding in the Rye. It is optional of course. 25% is a good number in my opinion. So if you are going with 8lbs total then you would use 6 lbs corn and 2 lbs rye. Since you are using the Lab enzymes it really doesnt matter when you add the rye flour but I would still add it below 170F. The enzymes that the Rye provide should still help liquify the Mash at that temp.
              Nutrients in a Grain Mash are strictly preference. Purist may not want to use them. Most agree that All grain mashes contain enough nutrients for a healthy ferment but I still add a little to help it along.

              Mason
            • canadianguy236
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
                Manson and Group
                I'm not to hot at down sizing with my limited math skills it's been a very long time. Is anyone able to tell me how much enzyme I will need for 8lbs of grain. I don't think I'm at all close to what it should be.

                The ratio of each enzyme to weight of grain is 2lbs per dry ton of grain.

                Mason I will try and get a picture of the grain I bought and post it.

                Thanks again,

                Snowman

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Mason
                > >
                > > The tag on the bag is marked "Flatted Corn" I'm assuming that I will have to add this to boiling water for an hour correct? To gelatinize.
                > > I'm looking to ferment about 6 gallons total volume so using 8 lbs grain should work quite nicely. If I decide to add some rye flour to the batch, how much rye flour should I use to ratio of the corn, 25%? Would I then just add it to the corn mesh once its cooled down to 172-178 and let this stand for another hour or so?
                > >
                > > I found no information on the enzyme packaging on how much to add to a mesh. Any hints on this one? As well I have a package of yeast nutrients, how much do you recommend I use in a batch? If any. (I'm using 6 gal for fermenting)
                > >
                > > Thanks again!
                > >
                > > Snowman
                >
                > I went through a few search engines and couldnt find any info on Flatted Corn. Even called the local feed store down here and they never heard of it. Must be a Yank er I mean Up north thing. :)
                > Any chance you can send me/us a pic of a pile of the stuff.
                > By the way, its "Mash" not "Mesh".
                > Enzyme Instructions:
                >
                > I would add the stuff to boiling water just to be on the safe side.
                > As for adding in the Rye. It is optional of course. 25% is a good number in my opinion. So if you are going with 8lbs total then you would use 6 lbs corn and 2 lbs rye. Since you are using the Lab enzymes it really doesnt matter when you add the rye flour but I would still add it below 170F. The enzymes that the Rye provide should still help liquify the Mash at that temp.
                > Nutrients in a Grain Mash are strictly preference. Purist may not want to use them. Most agree that All grain mashes contain enough nutrients for a healthy ferment but I still add a little to help it along.
                >
                > Mason

              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2009
                  Hey Snowman,

                  1 teaspoon of enzyme per 8 pounds of grain is about right. That's pretty close to 1:1000.

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

                  > Manson and Group
                  > I'm not to hot at down sizing with my limited math skills it's been a very long time. Is anyone able to tell me how much enzyme I will need for 8lbs of grain. I don't think I'm at all close to what it should be.
                  >
                  > The ratio of each enzyme to weight of grain is 2lbs per dry ton of grain.
                  >
                  > Mason I will try and get a picture of the grain I bought and post it.
                  >

                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Snowman
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Mason
                  > > >
                  > > > The tag on the bag is marked "Flatted Corn" I'm assuming that I will have to add this to boiling water for an hour correct? To gelatinize.
                  > > > I'm looking to ferment about 6 gallons total volume so using 8 lbs grain should work quite nicely. If I decide to add some rye flour to the batch, how much rye flour should I use to ratio of the corn, 25%? Would I then just add it to the corn mesh once its cooled down to 172-178 and let this stand for another hour or so?
                  > > >
                  > > > I found no information on the enzyme packaging on how much to add to a mesh. Any hints on this one? As well I have a package of yeast nutrients, how much do you recommend I use in a batch? If any. (I'm using 6 gal for fermenting)
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks again!
                  > > >
                  > > > Snowman
                  > >
                  > > I went through a few search engines and couldnt find any info on Flatted Corn. Even called the local feed store down here and they never heard of it. Must be a Yank er I mean Up north thing. :)
                  > > Any chance you can send me/us a pic of a pile of the stuff.
                  > > By the way, its "Mash" not "Mesh".
                  > > Enzyme Instructions:
                  > >
                  > > I would add the stuff to boiling water just to be on the safe side.
                  > > As for adding in the Rye. It is optional of course. 25% is a good number in my opinion. So if you are going with 8lbs total then you would use 6 lbs corn and 2 lbs rye. Since you are using the Lab enzymes it really doesnt matter when you add the rye flour but I would still add it below 170F. The enzymes that the Rye provide should still help liquify the Mash at that temp.
                  > > Nutrients in a Grain Mash are strictly preference. Purist may not want to use them. Most agree that All grain mashes contain enough nutrients for a healthy ferment but I still add a little to help it along.
                  > >
                  > > Mason

                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2009

                    > Hey Snowman,
                    >
                    > 1 teaspoon of enzyme per 8 pounds of grain is about right. That's pretty close to 1:1000.
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    I have been going with a tsp and a half of each for a 10lb mash. But Z Bobs math is correct.
                    You get a pound of each and at the Hobby level the enzymes will start to lose potency before you use them up. A little extra shouldnt hurt.

                    Mason
                  • Brandon Lee
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12, 2009
                      50# cracked corn---50#s sugar--25gals water--1.5ozs brewers yeast---will do u a very nice corn whiskey---
                      Now i just put on some peach wash which appears to be stuck--the peaches were somewhat fermented and i did the usual sugar water wash procedure---the peaches are accumulated at the top of my brew barrel--the smell is good but there is no bubbling action going on----
                      Any suggestions to anyone---
                      Your brother in the spirits
                      Blueflame456