Some basic questions and where to go next

  • lv2blade2
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2009
      First off I just want to give a "SHOUT OUT" to all my peeps in the new distillers group (lol) Thanks for all of your sought after knowledge and even some of the not sought after knowledge. I find it all very helpful. I have some random questions.

      1) How long should I keep spent wash to use as backset? Should I keep it cold?
      2) When I want to run a batch through more than once, do I ad it to the fermentor or to the wash?
      3) I have run managed to make some pretty good sippin hooch us Uncle Jesse's recipe where should I go next? I have a column reflux still. I was thinking maybe tequilla? Anybody have a good one?
      4) How do I store the hooch that I have made? I am currently using mason jars. Will that keep the product stable for a long period of time?

      Thanks Hill
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2009
        Inline.
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lv2blade2" <lv2blade2@...> wrote:

        > First off I just want to give a "SHOUT OUT" to all my peeps in the new distillers group (lol) Thanks for all of your sought after knowledge and even some of the not sought after knowledge. I find it all very helpful. I have some random questions.
        > You're welcome for both.
        > 1) How long should I keep spent wash to use as backset? Should I keep it cold?
        If you are just letting it sit in the boiler until you gat time to use it then I wont use it after a 2-3 days.  If you have room in your freezer then you can put it in gallon milk jugs and freeze it.  Use as needed.  On the other hand guys that are making rums will let the Backset(Dunder in the case of rum) sit for a month or so in open air or in a clear jug to let it settle out.  Then take the middle for the next ferment or add it to the low wines or a thumper.  Backset is Acidic so it helps keep bacteria at bay in a ferment but depending on how clear the wash was before you distilled it, it will also have dead yeast in it which will act as nutrient for the next ferment.
        > 2) When I want to run a batch through more than once, do I ad it to the fermentor or to the wash?
        Never add it to the Fermenter.  Yeast can only tolerate a certain ABV and by adding alcohol to the fermenting wash you will reach that threshold pretty quick leaving plenty of fermentables in the wash.  For a rerun you have a couple of choices.  If its just spittin hooch that you want to salvage because you made some bad cuts then you can either toss it back in the boiler with the next wash or if it is from the same recipe (say UJSMM) then add it to the low wines and run it with the next spirit run.  Or you can just save up all of your bad stuff and when you get 2 or 3 gallons you can Reflux the pee whiney hell out of it for some neutral.
        > 3) I have run managed to make some pretty good sippin hooch us Uncle Jesse's recipe where should I go next? I have a column reflux still. I was thinking maybe tequilla? Anybody have a good one?
        It is good to hear that you like your own spirit.  It is a good feeling isnt it?  I am not a tequila fan but I would suggest that you take the next step in Whiskey making a do a few "All Grain" mashes.  Proving to yourself that you can make a spirit without the use of sugar is quite rewarding.  It also gives you a new appreciation of what it takes to make a bottle of Bourbon or scotch.  If that doesnt suit you then I would suggest a Rum using Molasses and Raw Sugar.  You will find that Agave Nectar is very expensive.
        > 4) How do I store the hooch that I have made? I am currently using mason jars. Will that keep the product stable for a long period of time?
        What you are doing is just fine.   A lot of us that dont use barrels age our spirit in glass jars.

        Mason