MUM (and Hybrid) question

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 10:06 AM
      I've been re-reading the MUM wash and the hybrid version recipes in anticipation of getting one going when I get home next. The catch is that when I arrive, the next day I have to run down to Miami for 3 days (I'm getting a whole lot of free furniture and buying a motorcycle - not that any of y'all care). I see that the standard MUM calls for the Miracle Gro to be added over the course of three days, and the Hybrid calls for the Miracle Gro and the Epsom salts to be added over the course of 3 days. My questions are: Would there be a negative effect if I were to put the full amount of those ingredients in at the start, or would I be better off to put in the first "dose" and leave it as such? Also, it says that the ferment was complete in 4 days, so I'm guessing that to give the first dose of Miracle Gro/Epsom at the start and then do the second/third dose upon my return 3 days later would be futile. Am I correct?

      Thanks,
      --Mad Hatter
      *I can't stand only getting home once every other month for a week*
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 3:31 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:

        > I've been re-reading the MUM wash and the hybrid version recipes in anticipation of getting one going when I get home next. The catch is that when I arrive, the next day I have to run down to Miami for 3 days (I'm getting a whole lot of free furniture and buying a motorcycle - not that any of y'all care). I see that the standard MUM calls for the Miracle Gro to be added over the course of three days, and the Hybrid calls for the Miracle Gro and the Epsom salts to be added over the course of 3 days. My questions are: Would there be a negative effect if I were to put the full amount of those ingredients in at the start, or would I be better off to put in the first "dose" and leave it as such? Also, it says that the ferment was complete in 4 days, so I'm guessing that to give the first dose of Miracle Gro/Epsom at the start and then do the second/third dose upon my return 3 days later would be futile. Am I correct?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --Mad Hatter
        > *I can't stand only getting home once every other month for a week*

        Just give it the second round of nutrients when you get back. Some would argue that all of the nutrients could be add at the beginning without issue. Maybe so, I havent tried it. Most people dont eat Breakfast, lunch and Dinner all in one sitting, That just wouldnt be healthy. I almost always have a Hydrometer floating in the wash. I never feed nutrients to a wash below 1.015.
        The ferment is usually over in 4 days because of the way the nutrients are fed to it. In my experience, If you miss a feed time(give or take a few hours) the ferment slows dramatically. Add nutrients and it speeds back up. The intervals that I laid out seem to keep the action consistent. All that slowing and speeding up stress the little buggers out too.
        Keep in mind also that all this "Stressing" you are STRESSING over doesnt mean a hill of damn beans to you at this point in the hobby.
        You dont have enough time at the still to notice a difference in the final product. Yet.

        Mason
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 8:54 PM
          I did it all at once when we were developing the MUM. It took over a week to ferment but then again the temperature was about 18C which also slowed things down. And it wasn't miracle growth but some local generic fertilizer.

          Slainte, Riku