Re: Cognac Grapes...

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3 9:51 AM

      Welp heck Baker,

      As usual ya'll Aussies always have to go your own way LOL....

      To me a dried grape is a friggin raisin - as it is to most of the world:

      Raisins are dried grapes. They are produced in many regions of the world, such as Armenia, the United States, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Macedonia, Mexico, Greece, Syria, Turkey, India, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, China, Afghanistan, Togo, and Jamaica, as well as South Africa and Southern and Eastern Europe. Raisins may be eaten raw or used in cooking and bakinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin

      Although, Im sure someone like Wal will have a different scope on this subject... ;)

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aska Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Jim and folks,
      >
      > That's the difference, you see. In Australia the dried fruit of the sultana is not called a raisin but -- wait for it -- a SULTANA!
      > The dried fruit we call a raisin is generally from a larger grape, quite often a Waltham Cross or perhaps (memory a bit uncerain) Gordo Blanco or others the names of which I don't know.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > The Baker

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Yuppers Baker,
      > >
      > > Well aware that the Sultanas and the Thompson's seedless rasins are one
      > > in the same - when the Sultanas are dried, they are indeed called
      > > "raisins. [;)]
      _____snip

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3 1:49 PM
        Hmmmm. In the upper-left USA, raisins are dark, and when we want light-colored raisins, we ask for "golden raisins", or (drumroll) sultanas!

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        ----snip----
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 3 5:22 PM

          ROTF ZB,

          Welppers, guess ya'll Maniacs must a have a huge Aussie population up there too....  :D:D:D

          Yes raisins are dark - especially the Thompson's seedless raisins, about which Baker and I were having a somewhat sophmoric, but really funny discussion on....

          But guess you didnt read my earlier post #36458 where, according to U.S. Code of Federal Regulations - you ready - BUTA BING BUTA BANG BUTA BOOM:

          "The sultana grape is cultivated in the United States under the name Thompson Seedless, named after William Thompson, a viticulturist who was an early grower in California and is sometimes credited with the variety's introduction.[4][5] According to the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, the two names are synonymous.[6] Virtually all of California raisin production (approximately 97% in 2000) and roughly one-third of California's total grape area is of this variety, making it the single most widely-planted variety.[7][5]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultana_(grape)

          Now since the Sultana and Thompson's seedless dark raisins are one in the same, then golden raisins should be some other type right???

          But guess what... (nother drum roll):

          "Raisin varieties depend on the type of grape used. Seedless varieties include the Sultana (also known as "Thompson Seedless" in the USA) and Flame. Raisins are typically sun-dried, but may also be "water-dipped," or dehydrated. "Golden raisins" are made from Sultanas, treated with Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) , and flame dried to give them their characteristic color." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_raisin

          So you see ZB, Thompson's seedless raisins, "Golden Raisins, and Sultanas Grapes are all one in the same animal.....

          So as some famous poet wrote once upon a time:

          "A Raisin is a Raisin, Is a Raisin... "  Or something along them thar lines. LOL :x.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 3 6:36 PM

            BTW Z Bob,

            Thinks it was Gertrude Stein that said something like that - but she was talking bout some type of flower.... ;)

            JB....

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3 8:41 PM
              Aw, Jim,

              Now you got me *all* confused, but if Gertrude Stein said it, there's a good chance my delicate sensibilities might be offended.

              She was big on raisins, wasn't she? (LOL)

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              > BTW Z Bob,
              >
              > Thinks it was Gertrude Stein that said something like that - but she was
              > talking bout some type of flower.... [;)]
              >
              > JB....

            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4 3:58 AM
                In OZ raisins usually have seeds, dried sultanas are labelled as a separate category. Quirky?
                wal

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4 5:22 AM

                  I mean really Wal.  Those Aussies even have the gaul to sell some of our Bourbons at a lower ABV then is legally allowed to call it Bourbon here in the US  which is 40%.

                  Have half a mind to e-mail our fearless leader - Pres. Obama and have him fly down to Oz in Air Force 1 to straighten their heads out down there .... ;)

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim aka Waldo.