Campari

  • Mike Novak
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
      As the discusion centered around Italian digestive liquors, has anyone a recipe for Campari?

      Regards,

      MoSS
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009

        Hi Moss,

        To my knowledge, ive never seen a recipe for Campari - its ingrediences are pretty much a well held secret.  Maybe Wal might know of a reasonable facsimile...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        "Campari is an Italian drink developed by Gaspare Campari in 1860. It is made by steeping a secret mixture of herbs in alcoholic spirits, creating a strongly flavored and very alcoholic beverage. It is in the family of drinks known as bitters, because they feature herbs and bark which lend a distinctly bitter flavor to the beverage.

        Originally, bitters were developed for use as health tonics, and were often made with infusions of aromatic herbs so that they had a distinctive aroma and taste which made consumers feel like they were drinking a healthy beverage. Like other bitters, Campari has a strong aroma and a characteristic flavor which some consumers find overwhelming when consumed straight. For this reason, Campari is often mixed to create Campari Soda or other cocktails.

        Although the exact ingredients in Campari are not known, the distinctive red color originally came from cochineal dye, which is derived from an insect, Dactylopius coccus. Since 2006, however, an artificial coloring agent has replaced cochineal dye in most of the Campari produced worldwide. It also contains cascarilla bark, a botanical product from the Bahamas. This bark has a characteristic strongly bitter flavor. These and other substances which make up Campari are steeped together in an infusion of bitter herbs, which is strained to remove particles of the plants before being bottled."

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Novak" <zedrally@...> wrote:

        > As the discusion centered around Italian digestive liquors, has anyone a recipe for Campari?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > MoSS

      • Peers Cawley
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009

          I picked this one up from the JB recipes on the advanced forum :-

          Came across a recipe on an Italian site that possibly resembles
          Campari. Originally, Campari was the Milan based firm's house
          bitters. It was launched commercially in 1893.

          10g orange peel (avoid the white pith)
          2g cinnamon
          2.5g angelica root
          2g aniseed
          1g cloves
          1g gentian root (bitter root)
          1g calamus root (sweet flag)
          650ml 40% alcohol
          1/2 cup of red wine

          Crush the spices and macerate in half the alcohol (5-10days is
          usual). Filter and add wine and rest of alcohol. Add sugar to taste
          (quantity was not given).

          Wal

          Personally 1g of cloves is too much – but cloves in the market here are very fresh – also I dried the orange peel out prior to maceration.

          Did not add any sugar – it’s supposed to be bitters.

          Excellent will make again and again.

          Cheers from Peers