Re. Micio's Limoncello recipe

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2009
      Re. Micio's Limoncello recipe
      Thanks a bunch guys that's brilliant I have it somewhere on this here danged 'puter thingy but you guys obviously catalogue yor information properly not just save it to Documents like me
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2009

        Bonjour Geoff,

        Mais Oui, Micio's recipe is on the mark.  I have had a recipe for Limocello in the Info base which is very similar.

        Personally, I don't like it that sweet so usually cut back on the sugar, since i perfer more of something like a vodka citron.  But here it is:

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        Limoncello

        Italian Limoncello
        (lee-mohn-CHEH-loh)

        Limoncello is the generic name for an Italian citrus-based lemon liqueur that is served well chilled in the summer months. Limoncello is now considered the  national drink of Italy and can be found in stores and restaurants all over Italy.

        An absolute natural product acquired by the infusion of lemon skins in pure alcohol. It has become Italy's second most popular drink after Campari.

        Refreshing and light, Refreshing and light, it is wonderful as a palate cleanser or as an after dinner drinks. It is an incomparable digestive, and with tonic water it is a sweet, tasty refreshment. It's also great with champagne or mixed with juice as a cocktail. It even does well simply drizzled on ice cream, fruit salads), or fresh strawberries.

        Keep your bottles of Limoncello in the freezer until ready to serve. The ingredients are simple and few, and making a batch doesn't require much work, but you'll need some time. In most recipes, Limoncello must steep for (80) eighty days.

        History: It has long been a staple in the lemon-producing region along the Italian Amalfi Coast in Capri and Sorrento. The Amalfi Coast is known for its citrus groves and narrow winding roads.

        Authentic Limoncello is made from Sorrento lemons, which come from the Amalfi Coast. Families in Italy have passed down recipes for this for generations, as every Italian family has their own Limoncello recipe.

        If you have ever been to Italy, you'll instantly know about Limoncello. It is a lemon liqueur that is served well chilled in the summer months. It is wonderful as a palate cleanser or as an after dinner drink. Keep your bottles of limoncello in the freezer until ready to serve. The ingredients are simple and few, and making a batch doesn't require much work, but you'll need some time. Limoncello must steep for (80) eighty days.

        Limoncello is the generic name for an Italian citrus-based lemon liqueur that is served well chilled in the summer months. Limoncello is now considered the  national drink of Italy and can be found in stores and restaurants all over Italy.

        Check out more delicious Limoncello recipes:
        Italian Limoncello 2
        Italian Limoncello 3

        Italian Limoncello - How To Make Limoncello
        This is my (Linda Stradley) personal recipe for Italian Limoncello that my husband and I make every year.

        15 lemons*
        2 bottles (750 ml) 100-proof vodka**
        4 cups
        sugar
        5 cups water

        * Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.

        ** Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one. Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not turn to ice in the freezer.

        Step One:

        • Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.

        • Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel. NOTE: Use only the outer part of the rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind, is too bitter and would spoil your limoncello. Check out my web page on How to Zest.

        Step Two:

        • In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka.

        • Add the lemon zest as it is zested.

        • Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.

        Step Three:

        • In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.

        • Let the syrup cool before adding it to the Limoncello mixture.

        • Add to the Limoncello mixture from Step One. Add the additional bottle of vodka. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.

        Step Four:

        • After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest.