Micio's Limoncello recipe

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi Guys,
      A while back Micio put up a his home local version of the Limoncello recipe. Can anyone point me to a link or give me the recipe?
      Geoff
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
        Distillers Msg. No. 36199, and I have a feeling Micio may have posted a variation on that recipe later.

        See also Distillers 22386 and 22503 and I collected a heap more in a computer folder...

        Regards,

        The Baker

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > A while back Micio put up a his home local version of the Limoncello recipe. Can anyone point me to a link or give me the recipe?
        > Geoff

      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
          Hello Geoff and folks,

          As an afterthought, I have recently got access to
          as many limes as I like, from two different people.
          I could probably get a hundred kilograms or more.
          Some are just ripening but most would be past the
          'only just barely ripe, if that' stage that people
          seem to recommend for limoncello.
          Or in this case,
          if I do it, 'lime-cello'. Has anyone tried that?
          Was it good?

          (I made a schnapps with lime and hot chillis this
          year and although I don't like really hot chilli
          this was delicious!)

          So there would be enough limes for an experiment on a
          smaller scale this year and I could get to the
          fruit a bit earlier next year....

          But I don't have much high-proof alcohol at all
          so will have to start fermenting one of the sugar
          washes (it's been a bit cold here until now,
          but it is improving).

          It's a pain to zest all those lemons or limes
          so I thought I may try a variation on the 'one-lemon'
          system (used for liqueurs though I have not heard of
          it being used for limoncello) where you tie the
          lemon in some string and hang it in a jar
          above high-alcohol spirit.
          I have a stainless urn (scrap, it's not worth
          replacing the element) of ten or twelve imperial gallons,
          say fifty litres, so if I put strong alcohol in it,
          with a stainless rack-on-legs above it with lots
          of quartered fruit on the rack, (and a lid that
          seals perfectly) it will be interesting to see how
          much of the fruit flavour
          is taken from the flesh and peel (very little pith
          would be available to the vapour) and how long it takes.

          I would fill the container when it is cold,
          leave it where it can get warm, in the sunshine,
          and only open it, eventually, when it was cold,
          say early morning.

          I may not get around to all this but it does
          seem to be more than possible.

          Regards,

          The Baker

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009

            Hey again Baker,

            Maybe another approach for ya, instead of sticking limes on a silly string for months on end, over neutral alcohol....  Try this approach and make some Lime Brandy out a all those limes you have (they even maybe Key Limes perhaps?).  Might be a bit quicker and easier.

            Jack Keller - again, author of the biggest wine making site on the net - "The Winemaking Home Page", just recieved Best of Show for his Key Lime Wine this spring in San Antonio, Texas:

            The San Antonio Regional Wine Guild's 2009 Spring Competition was held April 19th, 2009 at Raymond Russell Regional Park. Jack Keller chaired the event, Larry Lothringer served as Head Judge, and James Wright and Marvin Nebgen shared Head Steward duties. Larry Lothringer, Charlie Suehs and David Webber served as BOS judges.

            Best of Show Winners

            • Grape: Alsatian Blend, Malcolm McQueen
              • Honorable Mention (tie): Ison Muscadine, Jack Keller
              • Honorable Mention (tie): Champanel-Miss Blanc Rosé, Martha Tarkington
            • Non-Grape: Key Lime, Jack Keller
              • Honorable Mention: Bay Leaf, Jack Keller

            Category Winners

            Fruit Wine Sweet:
            1st--Key Lime, Jack Keller (Best of Show, Non-Grape)

            (Whats really funny is that he also friggin' Chaired the event LOL - a coincidence me thinks perhaps ???):)

            Anyways, here is his recipe, I found in one of his blogs:

            Note:  Instead of the Welches Grape concentrate, try some of your Sultanas grapes, or Thompson's raisins...;)

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            Key Lime-a-Rital Wine Label

            My Key Lime-a-Rita Wine label

            I have previously published a basic, tried and true key lime wine recipe. This time, however, I tweaked that recipe both during and after fermentation and added the secret ingredient, so I am integrating all the changes into the recipe below. It is, after all, a completely different wine. While I made a three-gallon batch, the recipe below is for a single gallon. If you want more, do the math.

            Key Lime-a-Rita Wine

            • zest and juice from 10 key limes
            • juice from an additional 10 key limes
            • 11.5 oz. can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice frozen concentrate
            • 1 lb. 10 oz. sugar*
            • 1 tsp. pectic enzyme
            • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
            • 1/4 tsp. powdered grape tannin
            • 3.25 qt. water
            • 1/2 tsp. potassium sorbate
            • potassium metabisulfite (or finely crushed Campden tablets) as needed
            • 200 mL Finest Call Premium Triple Sec Syrup
            • Red Star Côte des Blancs wine yeast

            *To produce an initial dry wine, sugar should not be increased; the grape concentrate will provide 8.45 oz. of additional sugar. Initial PA will be reduced after topping up following racking but this is expected. This wine is not balanced above 13% abv.

            Collect the zest from 10 key limes and then juice them and 10 more, Put zest, juice, tannin, yeast nutrient, and sugar in primary. Add grape juice concentrate and water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in pectic enzyme and cover primary with sanitized cloth. Wait 10-12 hours and add activated yeast in starter solution. Recover the primary, set aside until vigorous fermentation subsides and transfer to secondary.

            Note- this next step really aint necessary for making your brandy unless ya want it to really clear... (JB)

            Top up to within 3 inches of mouth of secondary and attach airlock. After one week, stir in 1/16th tsp. potassium metabisulfite (or one finely crushed Campden tablet) and top up to within 3/4 inch of bung. Wait for wine to ferment to absolute dryness (30-45 days)