Re: Equilibrating the column?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 27, 2009

      Taking the first 100 or so ml out, is a good idea to get rid of any of the volatile alcohols such as Acetone 56.5C (134F), Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F) and any other volatiles. I just usually smell the first drips from the start.  When it stops smelling like paint remover or nail polish, and tastes ok, then i start keep it.

      Its also a good measure for cleaning out any crap that was left over from the last run or any flies that might have gotten in lol - has happened to me a couple of times.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      Nathen wrote:

      Interesting stuff. The reason I called it methanol to start with is because that's what the people in the home brew shops describe the foreshots as. So my only question left is, the chemicals or elements that are in a sugar wash foreshots - what are they and what can they do to you if consumed? I did a quick Wikipedia on acetone (as listed on the homedistiller website), as I think I've heard of this before and thought it was like paint thinners ... which it is!

      jamesonbeam1 wrote:

      Hi Nathan,

      Methanol being a problem in our modern methods as described in this site is nothing more than a hold over from the Prohibition Era when un-scruppulous distillers were adding crap like that to their moonshine to make a quick buck.