Re: electric HLT

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loulenz2002" <loulenz2002@...> wrote:

      > So i know this might be a foolish question but i just ain't to sure. so i'm converting a 200L plastic barrel to a HLT for infusion water with a 4kw element, and i was wondering how i should ground it. Any thoughts? Lou

      It's plastic, there's no need to ground it. The purpose of grounding is to protect you if the hot wire were to accidentally short to whatever you've run your wire to. If it were a metal keg, for example, shorting the hot wire to the keg itself would make it a shock hazard (i.e. touching it would shock the bejeebus out of you). In the case of a plastic barrel, you can't get shocked if the hot were to touch it because it's not a conductor.

      All you need, in this case, is to connect your power wires (hot and hot if 240, or hot and neutral if 120) to the terminals of the heater and you're good to go.

      My personal concern over this rig is that the spot where the heating element is attached to the barrel might get hot enough to melt and essentially spit the element out and everything else that's inside the barrel.

      Trid
      -electricity, hot liquids, fire, flammable solvents...gotta love this hobby :)