Re: Buying Yeast

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hi, hawk and hello folks,
      I made apricot brandy recently and just let it ferment with the natural yeast on the fruit. I used the high-tech recipe of adding enough mildly- sweetened water to make the fruit 'easy to handle'.

      Fermentation went like the clappers. Every time I had a new container full I added a bit of the wildly fermenting stuff from the previous lot, to give it a good start. Don't know how much I did altogether but I have around eighteen litres of STONES left that I am going to crack,soon,to make amaretto from the kernels!

      If I am lucky enough to get the (free) fruit from the same trees again this year (it's midwinter now in Australia) I might try fermenting the whole fruit (it was a lot of work removing all those stones). Just mash the fruit a bit in the fermenter with a small wooden post or something. Still add some water and sugar as before, after mashing.

      And push it through a 'strainer' with holes so big they just stop the stones from going through, when it is partly fermented.

      Anyway, hawk, good luck,

      The Baker