grappa

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2002
      Does anyone have any grappa recipes out there?
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
        It's very easy to do- just ferment a red or white wine as per normal (red on
        the skins, white off of the grape skins), set the wine aside, and rather than
        pressing all of the wine out of the fermented grapes (from a red wine) or
        pressing all of the juice out of the grapes (from white wine), just distill
        the skins (you have to add a little sugar water to the skins of the white
        wine to prevent the dry skins from getting contaminated) in a potstill or a
        jacketed potstill (the skins are put into the still- so a heating element
        still won't work). That's how it's made commercially.
      • commishna
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
          As a kid my aunt made her own wine and then distilled the residue and
          made grappa.

          She has long since passed away and taken her knowledge and her setup
          with her. I have access to pomace (there are 30 wineries within 20
          miles of my loaction in LI) and have formed an ad hoc team of two other
          friends to assist me - one is a plumber and the other is a chemist.

          Im guessing there are any number of experienced grappa veterans out
          there - how do recommend we get started and avoid any pitfalls to the
          novice.

          thanks
        • miciofelice2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
            Ciao a tutti.

            On the other forum (distillers) we just finished a very interest
            talking about grappa: if you go there you will find some interesting
            siggestions.

            After this, if you need something, ... I'm here.

            Ciao a tutti

            micio felice

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "commishna" <commishna@...>