Re: My First Brew

  • bbbob@y7mail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2009

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob@" <bbbob@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi (call me BB) to you all, I am new so stay with me on this I have read lots of recipes over the months when making my still and am now confused as to what to make, I will first run water through it to make shore it all works ok and I was going to make a sugar wash for vodka But I brought alcotec 48 turbo and I read it leaves a after taste even in a reflux still its the same as AK Jays Operation in the photos (It is brilliant the man is talented) I don't even know what it is called but I just want my first brew to be ok and then I will get on to more interesting stuff I like bourbon, rum, or whiskey, I have 6kg raw sugar ,48 turbo, two fomenters, Other paraphernalia I think ultimately I want to get in to the mum washes, I live a long way from a brew shop but close to a supermaket BB
      > >

      > A lot of the problems with the turbo yeast seem to be when the user pushes the product to its upper limits. If you did the 6kg/2 day ferment you would probably get a good product. Shoot for that 20% mark in 5 days and the yeast gets stressed and starts doing funky things in your wash that cause funky flavors. Sounds like you are limiting yourself to the 6Kg option so you should be OK. I have done a few washes using the Brewhaus 48hr turbo and it made good spirit. You cant go wrong with the MUM wash, however if you dont mind spending the money for the turbos and like the final product, and dont get greedy with high gravity, that may be the way to go for you.
      > AK Jays rig is a LM(Liquid Management) rig with Dual Valves. It will make good product and when you get ready to step up to VM(Vapor Management)it should be an easy conversion. A similar Rig was what I used for a while.
      > Another thing to mention is the need to do a stripping run. This may also be the source of some of the complaints you hear regarding turbo yeast. Strip a couple of washes and then do a reflux spirit run. That will HELP ensure you get a decent product.
      >
      > Mason

      Thanks Mason
      Just a couple of questions is there an example of a vapor management rig I could look at Also if I did two stripping runs is it ok to leave one just sitting while I do the other and for how long ,,, Thanks for the help
    • bbbob@y7mail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2009

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob@" <bbbob@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi (call me BB) to you all, I am new so stay with me on this I have read lots of recipes over the months when making my still and am now confused as to what to make, I will first run water through it to make shore it all works ok and I was going to make a sugar wash for vodka But I brought alcotec 48 turbo and I read it leaves a after taste even in a reflux still its the same as AK Jays Operation in the photos (It is brilliant the man is talented) I don't even know what it is called but I just want my first brew to be ok and then I will get on to more interesting stuff I like bourbon, rum, or whiskey, I have 6kg raw sugar ,48 turbo, two fomenters, Other paraphernalia I think ultimately I want to get in to the mum washes, I live a long way from a brew shop but close to a supermaket BB
        > >

        > A lot of the problems with the turbo yeast seem to be when the user pushes the product to its upper limits. If you did the 6kg/2 day ferment you would probably get a good product. Shoot for that 20% mark in 5 days and the yeast gets stressed and starts doing funky things in your wash that cause funky flavors. Sounds like you are limiting yourself to the 6Kg option so you should be OK. I have done a few washes using the Brewhaus 48hr turbo and it made good spirit. You cant go wrong with the MUM wash, however if you dont mind spending the money for the turbos and like the final product, and dont get greedy with high gravity, that may be the way to go for you.
        > AK Jays rig is a LM(Liquid Management) rig with Dual Valves. It will make good product and when you get ready to step up to VM(Vapor Management)it should be an easy conversion. A similar Rig was what I used for a while.
        > Another thing to mention is the need to do a stripping run. This may also be the source of some of the complaints you hear regarding turbo yeast. Strip a couple of washes and then do a reflux spirit run. That will HELP ensure you get a decent product.
        >
        > Mason
        >Just another thing I intended to make black beads rum (honey and sugar)
        It says to put in 1 to 3 ozs of yeast per ten gallons of mash, Now I have turbo yeast 48 how much can I use or should I get yeast from the supermarket, I need a good MUM wash any ideas thanks,,,,
      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob@..." <bbbob@...> wrote:

          > > Mason
          > >Just another thing I intended to make black beads rum (honey and sugar)
          > It says to put in 1 to 3 ozs of yeast per ten gallons of mash,   Now I have turbo yeast 48 how much can I use or should I get yeast from the supermarket, I need a good MUM wash any ideas  thanks,,,,
          I would save the turbo for a sugar wash.  Bread yeast is the preferred yeast for rums unless you can get your hands on some cane pieces that have the natural cane yeast growing on it.
          Look in Geoffs file at the MUM wash Pdf.  All you need to know about MUM is in there.

          Thanks Mason
          Just a couple of questions is there an example of a vapor management rig I could look at Also if I did two stripping runs is it ok to leave one just sitting while I do the other and for how long ,,, Thanks for the help

          As long as the low wines from the strip are above 25% abv they will keep indefinitely.  I collect mine in a 5 or 6 gallon carboy(glass) over weeks, sometimes a couple of months,  before I get enough to do a big spirit run.  I collect to 212F on a strip run which puts my low wines in the high 20's low 30's ABV.
          Look in Mine(Masons Pics) and Marc's photo albums for VM Ideas.  Both of us use Cross Flow heads and they have both VM and LM take offs.  To turn and Offset head like yours into a VM column you basically just adapt the coil housing to the top of the Tee on the column and the the side of the Tee gets adapted to a 1 inch Gate or Ball Valve and then you need to build a small liebig product condenser.  Plumbing the cooling is simple.  In bottom of liebig out top then to coil inlet then out coil.  Because you are only cooling a few hundred watts on the VM side it takes only a trickle of water to condense the vapor.  In a VM rig that uses a coil above the packing you would need to place a slant plate like in the BOK slant plate column under the coil if you wanted the LM take off.
          I tried to grit my teeth and let it go this time guys but I just cant.  The design you have chosen BBob is not at all a bad one but it is over enginneered and made overly expensive.  My biggest gripe with it is the use of both a product take off valve and the ever so unnecessary reflux return valve.  As long as the reflux return sits 1/4" higher in the housing than the product take off, then a "resivoir" is created and reflux ratio is controlled by ONE valve, the product valve.  Close the valve down and you return more to the column, open the valve and collect more product.  Just my Humble opinion.  If you look in my photo album you will see my old offset head and the way I did the take off and return.

          Mason
        • bbbob@y7mail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob@" <bbbob@> wrote:
            >
            > > > Mason
            > > >Just another thing I intended to make black beads rum (honey and
            > sugar)
            > > It says to put in 1 to 3 ozs of yeast per ten gallons of mash, Now I
            > have turbo yeast 48 how much can I use or should I get yeast from the
            > supermarket, I need a good MUM wash any ideas thanks,,,,
            > I would save the turbo for a sugar wash. Bread yeast is the preferred
            > yeast for rums unless you can get your hands on some cane pieces that
            > have the natural cane yeast growing on it.
            > Look in Geoffs file at the MUM wash Pdf. All you need to know about MUM
            > is in there.
            >

            > Thanks Mason
            > Just a couple of questions is there an example of a vapor management rig
            > I could look at Also if I did two stripping runs is it ok to leave one
            > just sitting while I do the other and for how long ,,, Thanks for the
            > help
            >
            > As long as the low wines from the strip are above 25% abv they will keep
            > indefinitely. I collect mine in a 5 or 6 gallon carboy(glass) over
            > weeks, sometimes a couple of months, before I get enough to do a big
            > spirit run. I collect to 212F on a strip run which puts my low wines in
            > the high 20's low 30's ABV.
            > Look in Mine(Masons Pics) and Marc's photo albums for VM Ideas. Both of
            > us use Cross Flow heads and they have both VM and LM take offs. To turn
            > and Offset head like yours into a VM column you basically just adapt the
            > coil housing to the top of the Tee on the column and the the side of the
            > Tee gets adapted to a 1 inch Gate or Ball Valve and then you need to
            > build a small liebig product condenser. Plumbing the cooling is simple.
            > In bottom of liebig out top then to coil inlet then out coil. Because
            > you are only cooling a few hundred watts on the VM side it takes only a
            > trickle of water to condense the vapor. In a VM rig that uses a coil
            > above the packing you would need to place a slant plate like in the BOK
            > slant plate column under the coil if you wanted the LM take off.
            > I tried to grit my teeth and let it go this time guys but I just cant.
            > The design you have chosen BBob is not at all a bad one but it is over
            > enginneered and made overly expensive. My biggest gripe with it is the
            > use of both a product take off valve and the ever so unnecessary reflux
            > return valve. As long as the reflux return sits 1/4" higher in the
            > housing than the product take off, then a "resivoir" is created and
            > reflux ratio is controlled by ONE valve, the product valve. Close the
            > valve down and you return more to the column, open the valve and collect
            > more product. Just my Humble opinion. If you look in my photo album
            > you will see my old offset head and the way I did the take off and
            > return.
            >
            > Mason

            Thanks for your advice, after a couple of runs i will modify the rig
            bbbob,,,,