Wine to Brandy question

  • canadianguy236
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi group
      First off I'm very new to distilling as well as making beer or wine. I kind of jumped into this hobby with out to much of a back ground in brewing. I've done a ton of reading and have learned a great deal in the last few months though.

      I bought a wine kit that I want to turn into a brandy with a PDA-1. The wine is called a "Vintners Reserve Bergamais". It's passed the primary fermentation stage and in the carboy on it's secondary fermentation stage. The next step is the stabilising and clearing stage by adding the metobsulphite, sorbate, chitoson (isinglass clarifier). Should I add these chemicals and finish off the full process of the wine kit since I'm going to distill it anyway? I'm I correct in my thinking that I'm after the alcohol and the flavor and my not require the wine to go clear by adding the above chemicals?

      One more question. What stage should I run the PDA-1 in to make brandy. I'm thinking in stage 1 maybe 2?

      Thanks for any help you can pass along.

      Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009

        Hello Mark,

        And welcome to the group.  We have many knowlegable members here who will be more than willing to help you out.

        Im sure by now your familiar with some of the resources we have such as Tony's HomeDistiller''s site at: http://homedistiller.org/ , The Alcohol Library and the Info base in the links section.

        Regarding you questions, first off,  you must understand the differences between making true wines and fermenting fruits (which include grapes;)) for distilling.

        Being a wine maker in a previous life, I have had to also adjust to these differences.  Making wines requires all those chemicals to stop fermentation and clarify a wine, along with the secondary fermentation process.  When fermenting fruits for distilling into brandies, those additional steps are really not necessary, along with adding all those metabisulfates, and clearing agents and then letting it stand for months in a secondary glass carboy fermenter with airlock.

        We here usually just go through the primary fermentation stage and let the wash (if using just sugar), mash or wort (if using grains),  or must (if using fruits) turn into alcohol and then clear.  This usually lasts no more than 1 to 2 weeks.  Those who use Turbo yeasts or imitations can usually distill their fermetation in a week or less.  I have distilled some of my apple wines and blackberry wines in less than 5 days after fermenting and clearing/straining.

        So yes - disregard those additional steps and just wait till your fermentation clears...  As far as the PDA-1 goes, its a very good product and well worth your money.  However, Im just a simple pot distiller and using a PDA-1 with full reflux will not give you a good "Brandy" .

        Reflux stills are mainly ment for making neutral alcohols such a high ABV vodka. They will distill off any flavors you have from your Bergamise grape kit.....

         You will need to de-reflux you PDA-1 by taking out the packing and turning off the reflux condenser.  You really need to have this question answered by some of my reflux distilling friends around here, or maybe make a simple pot still for your brandy.

        Again, welcome aboard and HTH.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo (moderator)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

        > Hi group
        > First off I'm very new to distilling as well as making beer or wine. I kind of jumped into this hobby with out to much of a back ground in brewing. I've done a ton of reading and have learned a great deal in the last few months though.
        >
        > I bought a wine kit that I want to turn into a brandy with a PDA-1. The wine is called a "Vintners Reserve Bergamais". It's passed the primary fermentation stage and in the carboy on it's secondary fermentation stage. The next step is the stabilising and clearing stage by adding the metobsulphite, sorbate, chitoson (isinglass clarifier). Should I add these chemicals and finish off the full process of the wine kit since I'm going to distill it anyway? I'm I correct in my thinking that I'm after the alcohol and the flavor and my not require the wine to go clear by adding the above chemicals?
        >
        > One more question. What stage should I run the PDA-1 in to make brandy. I'm thinking in stage 1 maybe 2?
        >
        > Thanks for any help you can pass along.
        >
        > Mark

      • gooseeye
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2009
          it better if you can use all juice if you makein brandy but
          if not go gentle on the suger. on certain grape an apple you can use
          a fair amount cause the flavers is strong an will come over but fruit like elderberry blueberry an strawberry they aint as much. peach will
          work out to if you aint careful. that is one hard sent to hold if you addin water an it workin off quick. try to get best fruit you can it
          makes a diference.
          no a ole boy primed bacca up there in the early 60s cause yalls money was worth more than ours. round farmington think it was. ole man had alot of grapes on his farm.

          so im tole