Re: Nasty Taste!

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009

      Ras,

      I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either beer kegs or SS milk containers.

      These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be substituted.

      The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm        It is also listed in my Info Base.  But I have not recommended the column designs for the past 2 to 3 years other then mention it ;).

      Thanks for your concerns.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      >
      > I'd like to recommend that we stop mentioning the WCS site, because it
      > also recommends one silly still design as well as an unnecessarily
      > complicated one. I'm one of the poor slobs who found that site BEFORE
      > finding this list, and so spent hard-earned shekels on the silly design,
      > which means I don't have them to spend on the XFlow now, so this is
      > slowing me down. And yes, I know that one can "fix" it, but even with
      > the fix, one ends up with a substandard product (it being too short
      > without more fixes, among other things)....
      >
      > They're also the reason I went with the (in my case failed) cork seal....
      >
      > Just MHO and not meant in any way as a critical remark :)
      >
      > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
      > > Hey Wy,
      > >
      > > While even the Nixon's in "The Compleat Distiller" say aquarium silicone
      > > is ok for seals, they also say you need RTV (room temp vulcanizing)
      > > which is food grade or approved for aquariums (the clear stuff, not the
      > > white stuff).. The "World Class Still"site recommends using cork seals

    • Rasputin Paracelsus
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
        Hi Jim,

        Yes, I understand :) I say it only because the unwary might get the idea
        (NOT through your direct comments!) that they should perhaps pursue such
        a design, that's all. Maybe I'm being overly cautious or whatever on
        this point. Just would like to save the next poor slob some dough (which
        can then be used to make flour seals... [bad pun]).

        Again... not suggesting by any stretch that you've said anything amiss
        and I'm sure you know best :)

        Best

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009

          Sidenote Ras,

          The only reflux still I have recommend for newbie still makers is the Bokabob on Tony's site over that past 2 years or so Ive been moderator here (over 5000 postings if you look me up in google or yahoo)... ;)

          Jim.

          > Ras,
          >
          > I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on
          > reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have
          > mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either
          > beer kegs or SS milk containers.
          >
          > These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they
          > recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be
          > substituted.
          >
          > The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections
          > on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm
          > <http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm> It is also listed in
          > my Info Base. But I have not recommended the column designs for the
          > past 2 to 3 years other then mention it [;)] .
          >
          > Thanks for your concerns.
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          >
          > Jim aka Waldo.

        • edbar44
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
            there is plenty of neutral cure silicone available in the US, check this out.

            http://www.crlaurence.com/datasheets/pdfs/sealant.pdf