Re: Nasty Taste!

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

      > OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on. geuss I'll
      > dismantle and try some of your suggestions. meanwhile Ive got
      > that cheesy little pressure cooker to fall back on, 1 pint an
      > hour on a 5-gallon run should keep me off the streets for a while.
      > couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
      > whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
      > purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
      > here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
      > it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
      > of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
      > for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!

      OK, I'm going to be the contrarian on this one. I've used acetic cure silicone for years now and there has never been an off taste contributed by it. It's the plain-jane GE silicone (clear) from the hardware store. I use it for the head gasket (about 1/4" thick all around) and to treat the flange threads internally where I mount the column. It's a galvanized flange, and I sure as heck don't want vapor contact with the galvanized portion. In other words, I have an appreciable amount of silicone in the vapor path with no ill effect on taste.
      Not that I have any answers towards what *is* causing the off flavors, but I'm disinclined to finger the silicone seal for it. As Jim swears by his JB weld, I'm not so quick to blame that, either.

      Trid
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

        > OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on.
        couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
        > whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
        > purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
        > here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
        > it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
        > of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
        > for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!

        SS to SS welds are made everyday. Be very careful when welding things like sink strainers to lids. I consider myself a pretty good welder and I ruined a SS lid I was welding a Strainer to. Warped the Hell out of it. The thing looked like a damn cowboy hat when it cooled. Silver BRAZE is the way to go for joints like that. For this hobby anyway.
        Yea, we talked extensively a couple months ago about silicone sealants and where to get them in the US. There are a few brands out there that advertise "neutral cure", but try actually putting your hands on a tube.
        I got connections when it comes to industrial stuff and nobody seems to be able to get the mits on it. Most have never even heard of the stuff. You find it, let us know.

        Mason
        I just had an epiphany.
        Now why didnt I think of my Aussie connection before.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hey Wy,

          While even the Nixon's in "The Compleat Distiller" say aquarium silicone
          is ok for seals, they also say you need RTV (room temp vulcanizing)
          which is food grade or approved for aquariums (the clear stuff, not the
          white stuff).. The "World Class Still"site recommends using cork seals.

          As far as JB Weld, yes I have mentioned that for leaks and outside
          connections - however, I do not let it come in contact with the vapor
          flow inside. I also have not had much success with silicone seals even
          using plastic as Harry suggested or the vasoline on a one side thingy.

          While the water/flour paste is a quick and easy fix, let me tell you
          about another "home remedy" i now use for seals around the top rims.
          This is nothing more than non-hardening plumber's putty with no
          hazardous materials in it (i use the "Datey" brand available from Lowe's
          or Home Depot). Its much more durable then the flour/water paste
          approach and may be reused. Have never had no off-flavors with it.

          For temporary connections, i srongly recommend wrapping teflon plumber's
          tape inside connections and around any bolts, and then i also have used
          the black electrictical tape on the outside (again not contact with
          vapor flow).

          I would recommend you re-check you connections around the sink strainer
          and rim cover and make sure there is nothing that comes in contact with
          the vapor flow except the copper and s.steel.

          However, again - the best approach for permanent connections is silver
          solder (no lead), or brazing.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          wrote:

          > OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on. geuss I'll
          > dismantle and try some of your suggestions. meanwhile Ive got
          > that cheesy little pressure cooker to fall back on, 1 pint an
          > hour on a 5-gallon run should keep me off the streets for a while.
          > couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
          > whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
          > purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
          > here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
          > it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
          > of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
          > for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!

        • Rasputin Paracelsus
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
            Jim,

            I'd like to recommend that we stop mentioning the WCS site, because it
            also recommends one silly still design as well as an unnecessarily
            complicated one. I'm one of the poor slobs who found that site BEFORE
            finding this list, and so spent hard-earned shekels on the silly design,
            which means I don't have them to spend on the XFlow now, so this is
            slowing me down. And yes, I know that one can "fix" it, but even with
            the fix, one ends up with a substandard product (it being too short
            without more fixes, among other things)....

            They're also the reason I went with the (in my case failed) cork seal....

            Just MHO and not meant in any way as a critical remark :)

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009

              Ras,

              I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either beer kegs or SS milk containers.

              These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be substituted.

              The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm        It is also listed in my Info Base.  But I have not recommended the column designs for the past 2 to 3 years other then mention it ;).

              Thanks for your concerns.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                Hi Jim,

                Yes, I understand :) I say it only because the unwary might get the idea
                (NOT through your direct comments!) that they should perhaps pursue such
                a design, that's all. Maybe I'm being overly cautious or whatever on
                this point. Just would like to save the next poor slob some dough (which
                can then be used to make flour seals... [bad pun]).

                Again... not suggesting by any stretch that you've said anything amiss
                and I'm sure you know best :)

                Best

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009

                  Sidenote Ras,

                  The only reflux still I have recommend for newbie still makers is the Bokabob on Tony's site over that past 2 years or so Ive been moderator here (over 5000 postings if you look me up in google or yahoo)... ;)

                  Jim.

                  > Ras,
                  >
                  > I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on
                  > reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have
                  > mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either
                  > beer kegs or SS milk containers.
                  >
                  > These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they
                  > recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be
                  > substituted.
                  >
                  > The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections
                  > on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm
                  > <http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm> It is also listed in
                  > my Info Base. But I have not recommended the column designs for the
                  > past 2 to 3 years other then mention it [;)] .
                  >
                  > Thanks for your concerns.
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  >
                  > Jim aka Waldo.

                • edbar44
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                    there is plenty of neutral cure silicone available in the US, check this out.

                    http://www.crlaurence.com/datasheets/pdfs/sealant.pdf