Re: Nasty Taste!

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1 3:18 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

      > Built me a new still. But it's putting out a nasty taste I can't
      > find or get rid of. ready to toss it and go back to that slow little
      > 3-gal pressure cooker. here's what I Have. 5-gal, new, SS stock pot
      > with a 3 ft. 1-1/2 copper column mounted on a SS, upside-down sink
      > basket. at the top of the column I reduce to a 3/8 copper line that
      > runs through my condenser. the only stuff my spirits come in contact
      > with are copper (no problem there) Stainless steel (boiler only)
      > JB weld (heard that was OK) Teflon tape (read that was OK in this
      > forum) Aquarium silicone (allowed to cure for 2 weeks) before I ran
      > a wash through it I ran straight water, twice then 2 runs of Vinegar
      > and citric acid. I Know I used Silver solder and not the Lead stuff. washed it before anything to get the flux out and off of it. the taste
      > just gets worse didn't dilute anything today, gonna run it straight
      > through the wife's car. it ain't my wash, been using the same recipe for
      > a year now and I loved it in my little still. cracked corn, malted, cracked, 6 row barley, EC-1118, DAP, Citric Acid. I wash everything
      > before and after. no, I don't use the stuff they sell at the Brew
      > Haus just soap and water and a good rinse. it taste like metal or maybe some kinda Chemical. I don't know. hate to toss all my hard
      > work and money but I give up! anybody got any ideas? PLEASE. I don't wanna go back to that tiny little pressure cooker!!!!!!

      I'm not down with the JB weld or the silicone but I know others use it with success. I use teflon tape all the time. Where in the rig is the silicone and JB weld? You mention sink strainer. You didnt use the rubber gasket that came with it did you?

      Mason
    • KM Services

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1 4:05 PM
          yes! first thing i s get rid of the silicon gasket .I've tried the aquarium silicon, and the taste never leaves..   tim

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1 4:09 PM
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

            > Just out of interest you say your spirit comes into contact with aquarium
            > silicone? Which I think is usually an acetic cure? Firstly direct contact
            > with silicone is a no no and if you use silicone use a neutral cure one
            > apart from that I am unsure
            >

            > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
            >
            > Built me a new still. But it's putting out a nasty taste I can't
            > find or get rid of. ready to toss it and go back to that slow little
            > 3-gal pressure cooker. here's what I Have. 5-gal, new, SS stock pot
            > with a 3 ft. 1-1/2 copper column mounted on a SS, upside-down sink
            > basket. at the top of the column I reduce to a 3/8 copper line that
            > runs through my condenser. the only stuff my spirits come in contact
            > with are copper (no problem there) Stainless steel (boiler only)
            > JB weld (heard that was OK) Teflon tape (read that was OK in this
            > forum) Aquarium silicone (allowed to cure for 2 weeks) before I ran
            > a wash through it I ran straight water, twice then 2 runs of Vinegar
            > and citric acid. I Know I used Silver solder and not the Lead stuff. washed
            > it before anything to get the flux out and off of it. the taste
            > just gets worse didn't dilute anything today, gonna run it straight
            > through the wife's car. it ain't my wash, been using the same recipe for
            > a year now and I loved it in my little still. cracked corn, malted, cracked,
            > 6 row barley, EC-1118, DAP, Citric Acid. I wash everything
            > before and after. no, I don't use the stuff they sell at the Brew
            > Haus just soap and water and a good rinse. it taste like metal or maybe some
            > kinda Chemical. I don't know. hate to toss all my hard
            > work and money but I give up! anybody got any ideas? PLEASE. I don't wanna

            the silicone is used on the lid to form a gasket as per some info
            I found here a while back. vaseline on the pot, silicone on the lid. let it cure overnite. the vaseline allows release of the lid forming
            a perfect gasket. worked nicely it did. I did use the rubber gasket that came with the sink basket but only on the top. used JB wld on the bottom to make a double seal. dont see how the "steam" could
            come in contact with the rubber. is there some way to clean the still
            that mite be more drastic than vinigar and water? hate to dismantle
            it and replace silicone and JB weld. heck, I got washes fermenting
            rite now. thanks fer the input. I'm kinda lost on this one,
          • Kim
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1 4:40 PM
              I have always used cork for a gasket between the SS bowl and the top of the keg. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a roll of cork material. It's about 1/4 inch thick. Put the bowel on it upside down and trace around it. Cut the cork gasket ring about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide.... I have used the same one for 3 years. I wipe a very small amount of silicone on one side and stick it to the bowel. I seals fine.

              Kim

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just out of interest you say your spirit comes into contact with aquarium
              > > silicone? Which I think is usually an acetic cure? Firstly direct contact
              > > with silicone is a no no and if you use silicone use a neutral cure one
              > > apart from that I am unsure
              > >

              > > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
              > >
              > > Built me a new still. But it's putting out a nasty taste I can't
              > > find or get rid of. ready to toss it and go back to that slow little
              > > 3-gal pressure cooker. here's what I Have. 5-gal, new, SS stock pot
              > > with a 3 ft. 1-1/2 copper column mounted on a SS, upside-down sink
              > > basket. at the top of the column I reduce to a 3/8 copper line that
              > > runs through my condenser. the only stuff my spirits come in contact
              > > with are copper (no problem there) Stainless steel (boiler only)
              > > JB weld (heard that was OK) Teflon tape (read that was OK in this
              > > forum) Aquarium silicone (allowed to cure for 2 weeks) before I ran
              > > a wash through it I ran straight water, twice then 2 runs of Vinegar
              > > and citric acid. I Know I used Silver solder and not the Lead stuff. washed
              > > it before anything to get the flux out and off of it. the taste
              > > just gets worse didn't dilute anything today, gonna run it straight
              > > through the wife's car. it ain't my wash, been using the same recipe for
              > > a year now and I loved it in my little still. cracked corn, malted, cracked,
              > > 6 row barley, EC-1118, DAP, Citric Acid. I wash everything
              > > before and after. no, I don't use the stuff they sell at the Brew
              > > Haus just soap and water and a good rinse. it taste like metal or maybe some
              > > kinda Chemical. I don't know. hate to toss all my hard
              > > work and money but I give up! anybody got any ideas? PLEASE. I don't wanna
              > >

              > the silicone is used on the lid to form a gasket as per some info
              > I found here a while back. vaseline on the pot, silicone on the lid. let it cure overnite. the vaseline allows release of the lid forming
              > a perfect gasket. worked nicely it did. I did use the rubber gasket that came with the sink basket but only on the top. used JB wld on the bottom to make a double seal. dont see how the "steam" could
              > come in contact with the rubber. is there some way to clean the still
              > that mite be more drastic than vinigar and water? hate to dismantle
              > it and replace silicone and JB weld. heck, I got washes fermenting
              > rite now. thanks fer the input. I'm kinda lost on this one,

            • Rasputin Paracelsus
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1 5:51 PM
                Never worked for me... Not a great seal, and shrank when I removed it.
                (Might not have if I had let it cool first, don't know. But didn't feel
                like trying it again as it didn't work well.)

                And I gather from an earlier round of discussions on this topic that
                that is not an uncommon experience. Glad it worked for you, though!

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1 6:09 PM
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

                  > Never worked for me... Not a great seal, and shrank when I removed it.
                  > (Might not have if I had let it cool first, don't know. But didn't feel
                  > like trying it again as it didn't work well.)
                  >
                  > And I gather from an earlier round of discussions on this topic that
                  > that is not an uncommon experience. Glad it worked for you, though!

                  Cork never worked for me either. Had similar issues to yours R.

                  Sink strainer: get rid of the JB weld and get a oring from a hydraulic shop. Buna or Silicone Put the oring between the strainer and the underside of the lid. If the hole you cut for the strainer is pretty precise then I would also try wrapping the hell out of the strainer with Teflon tape where it contacts the boiler lid. The lid I have that uses a strainer I machined and precisely to the middle of the curve at the flange. It doesnt require a separate seal.
                  Lid to boiler seal: Flour and water paste or if you are in Aus or new zealand pick up some of that sealys stuff Harry talks about. Good luck finding Neutral cure here in the US. My fastenal Rep is a White lightning silicone distributor and he couldnt get his hands on the right stuff. Aquarium sealant is an acetic cure. Use at your own risk. I'll save mine for the fish.

                  Mason
                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 1 6:58 PM

                    I have just put together a PDF of how I attach my columns to the boiler using a flange set up and with my new pot come stripping column it is all screw together (with thread tape) with SS male and female couplings welded to the flange and column so the new column can be added to without wrecking it. At the base of my columns I place a copper perforated plate primarily to retain my scrubbers on the Reflux column but also to attract the sulphide in the washes and also adds some reflux. (Look under Files Ken Mc Cold Tip)

                    cheers  Ken Mc

                    Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

                    Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 1 7:00 PM
                      Mason,

                      It's a small consolation to me that you couldn't get the proper silicone
                      from Fastenal, I couldn't either :(

                      There are those silicone baking sheets, though. A mite more money, but
                      I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

                      rye_junkie1 wrote:
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Never worked for me... Not a great seal, and shrank when I removed it.
                      >> (Might not have if I had let it cool first, don't know. But didn't feel
                      >> like trying it again as it didn't work well.)
                      >>
                      >> And I gather from an earlier round of discussions on this topic that
                      >> that is not an uncommon experience. Glad it worked for you, though!

                      > Cork never worked for me either. Had similar issues to yours R.
                      >
                      > Sink strainer: get rid of the JB weld and get a oring from a hydraulic shop. Buna or Silicone Put the oring between the strainer and the underside of the lid. If the hole you cut for the strainer is pretty precise then I would also try wrapping the hell out of the strainer with Teflon tape where it contacts the boiler lid. The lid I have that uses a strainer I machined and precisely to the middle of the curve at the flange. It doesnt require a separate seal.
                      > Lid to boiler seal: Flour and water paste or if you are in Aus or new zealand pick up some of that sealys stuff Harry talks about. Good luck finding Neutral cure here in the US. My fastenal Rep is a White lightning silicone distributor and he couldnt get his hands on the right stuff. Aquarium sealant is an acetic cure. Use at your own risk. I'll save mine for the fish.
                      >
                      > Mason
                    • wyobrunson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 1 10:00 PM
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

                        > Mason,
                        >
                        > It's a small consolation to me that you couldn't get the proper silicone
                        > from Fastenal, I couldn't either :(
                        >
                        > There are those silicone baking sheets, though. A mite more money, but
                        > I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

                        > rye_junkie1 wrote:
                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Never worked for me... Not a great seal, and shrank when I removed it.
                        > >> (Might not have if I had let it cool first, don't know. But didn't feel
                        > >> like trying it again as it didn't work well.)
                        > >>
                        > >> And I gather from an earlier round of discussions on this topic that
                        > >> that is not an uncommon experience. Glad it worked for you, though!

                        > > Cork never worked for me either. Had similar issues to yours R.
                        > >
                        > > Sink strainer: get rid of the JB weld and get a oring from a hydraulic shop. Buna or Silicone Put the oring between the strainer and the underside of the lid. If the hole you cut for the strainer is pretty precise then I would also try wrapping the hell out of the strainer with Teflon tape where it contacts the boiler lid. The lid I have that uses a strainer I machined and precisely to the middle of the curve at the flange. It doesnt require a separate seal.
                        > > Lid to boiler seal: Flour and water paste or if you are in Aus or new zealand pick up some of that sealys stuff Harry talks about. Good luck finding Neutral cure here in the US. My fastenal Rep is a White lightning silicone distributor and he couldnt get his hands on the right stuff. Aquarium sealant is an acetic cure. Use at your own risk. I'll save mine for the fish.
                        > >
                        > > Mason

                        OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on. geuss I'll
                        dismantle and try some of your suggestions. meanwhile Ive got
                        that cheesy little pressure cooker to fall back on, 1 pint an
                        hour on a 5-gallon run should keep me off the streets for a while.
                        couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
                        whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
                        purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
                        here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
                        it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
                        of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
                        for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!
                      • Trid
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 2 6:06 AM
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

                          > OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on. geuss I'll
                          > dismantle and try some of your suggestions. meanwhile Ive got
                          > that cheesy little pressure cooker to fall back on, 1 pint an
                          > hour on a 5-gallon run should keep me off the streets for a while.
                          > couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
                          > whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
                          > purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
                          > here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
                          > it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
                          > of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
                          > for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!

                          OK, I'm going to be the contrarian on this one. I've used acetic cure silicone for years now and there has never been an off taste contributed by it. It's the plain-jane GE silicone (clear) from the hardware store. I use it for the head gasket (about 1/4" thick all around) and to treat the flange threads internally where I mount the column. It's a galvanized flange, and I sure as heck don't want vapor contact with the galvanized portion. In other words, I have an appreciable amount of silicone in the vapor path with no ill effect on taste.
                          Not that I have any answers towards what *is* causing the off flavors, but I'm disinclined to finger the silicone seal for it. As Jim swears by his JB weld, I'm not so quick to blame that, either.

                          Trid
                        • rye_junkie1
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 2 6:16 AM
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wyobrunson" <wyobrunson@...> wrote:

                            > OK, Guys, you've given me some stuff to chew on.
                            couple thoughts though. can you weld stainless to stainless?
                            > whithout destroying the stainless properties? where can you
                            > purchase non-acetic silicone? wait! I think I saw that on a post
                            > here a couple a months back! bet with a little time I could find
                            > it again. Like the cork idea. did'nt think of that one. never heard
                            > of white lightning (the Distributor, familiar with the other) thanks
                            > for your time and quik answers. you guys are the shiznit! THNX!

                            SS to SS welds are made everyday. Be very careful when welding things like sink strainers to lids. I consider myself a pretty good welder and I ruined a SS lid I was welding a Strainer to. Warped the Hell out of it. The thing looked like a damn cowboy hat when it cooled. Silver BRAZE is the way to go for joints like that. For this hobby anyway.
                            Yea, we talked extensively a couple months ago about silicone sealants and where to get them in the US. There are a few brands out there that advertise "neutral cure", but try actually putting your hands on a tube.
                            I got connections when it comes to industrial stuff and nobody seems to be able to get the mits on it. Most have never even heard of the stuff. You find it, let us know.

                            Mason
                            I just had an epiphany.
                            Now why didnt I think of my Aussie connection before.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 2 6:33 AM
                              Hey Wy,

                              While even the Nixon's in "The Compleat Distiller" say aquarium silicone
                              is ok for seals, they also say you need RTV (room temp vulcanizing)
                              which is food grade or approved for aquariums (the clear stuff, not the
                              white stuff).. The "World Class Still"site recommends using cork seals.

                              As far as JB Weld, yes I have mentioned that for leaks and outside
                              connections - however, I do not let it come in contact with the vapor
                              flow inside. I also have not had much success with silicone seals even
                              using plastic as Harry suggested or the vasoline on a one side thingy.

                              While the water/flour paste is a quick and easy fix, let me tell you
                              about another "home remedy" i now use for seals around the top rims.
                              This is nothing more than non-hardening plumber's putty with no
                              hazardous materials in it (i use the "Datey" brand available from Lowe's
                              or Home Depot). Its much more durable then the flour/water paste
                              approach and may be reused. Have never had no off-flavors with it.

                              For temporary connections, i srongly recommend wrapping teflon plumber's
                              tape inside connections and around any bolts, and then i also have used
                              the black electrictical tape on the outside (again not contact with
                              vapor flow).

                              I would recommend you re-check you connections around the sink strainer
                              and rim cover and make sure there is nothing that comes in contact with
                              the vapor flow except the copper and s.steel.

                              However, again - the best approach for permanent connections is silver
                              solder (no lead), or brazing.

                              Vino es Veritas,

                              Jim aka Waldo.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 2 7:13 AM
                                Jim,

                                I'd like to recommend that we stop mentioning the WCS site, because it
                                also recommends one silly still design as well as an unnecessarily
                                complicated one. I'm one of the poor slobs who found that site BEFORE
                                finding this list, and so spent hard-earned shekels on the silly design,
                                which means I don't have them to spend on the XFlow now, so this is
                                slowing me down. And yes, I know that one can "fix" it, but even with
                                the fix, one ends up with a substandard product (it being too short
                                without more fixes, among other things)....

                                They're also the reason I went with the (in my case failed) cork seal....

                                Just MHO and not meant in any way as a critical remark :)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 2 7:26 AM

                                  Ras,

                                  I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either beer kegs or SS milk containers.

                                  These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be substituted.

                                  The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm        It is also listed in my Info Base.  But I have not recommended the column designs for the past 2 to 3 years other then mention it ;).

                                  Thanks for your concerns.

                                  Vino es Veritas,

                                  Jim aka Waldo.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 2 7:41 AM
                                    Hi Jim,

                                    Yes, I understand :) I say it only because the unwary might get the idea
                                    (NOT through your direct comments!) that they should perhaps pursue such
                                    a design, that's all. Maybe I'm being overly cautious or whatever on
                                    this point. Just would like to save the next poor slob some dough (which
                                    can then be used to make flour seals... [bad pun]).

                                    Again... not suggesting by any stretch that you've said anything amiss
                                    and I'm sure you know best :)

                                    Best

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 2 8:08 AM

                                      Sidenote Ras,

                                      The only reflux still I have recommend for newbie still makers is the Bokabob on Tony's site over that past 2 years or so Ive been moderator here (over 5000 postings if you look me up in google or yahoo)... ;)

                                      Jim.

                                      > Ras,
                                      >
                                      > I agree with you on their column designs (even though im no expert on
                                      > reflux design - talk to Riku about that), however the only times i have
                                      > mentioned the WCS site is the section on column connections to either
                                      > beer kegs or SS milk containers.
                                      >
                                      > These are pretty much standard and approved designs and while they
                                      > recommend cork seals, other alcohol resistant materials may be
                                      > substituted.
                                      >
                                      > The only section I have recoomended is the section on these connections
                                      > on page 18: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm
                                      > <http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm> It is also listed in
                                      > my Info Base. But I have not recommended the column designs for the
                                      > past 2 to 3 years other then mention it [;)] .
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for your concerns.
                                      >
                                      > Vino es Veritas,
                                      >
                                      > Jim aka Waldo.

                                    • edbar44
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 3 5:27 AM
                                        there is plenty of neutral cure silicone available in the US, check this out.

                                        http://www.crlaurence.com/datasheets/pdfs/sealant.pdf