Re: Grains in whiskey

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

      > I recently had a friend of mine give me 150lb of cracked barley(not malted). If I were to go an all grain route instead of the UJSSM that i've been doing lately, could I use this stuff? I was unsure because of the fact that it is un-malted. Was wanting to shoot for a 10 gallon mash and I thought 5lb cracked corn, a pound of rye flour, 10lbs sugar but unsure about barley maybe 5lbs? Being that it is un-malted would I just have to boil it longer or is it useless?

      Sorry fellas, I have been swamped here lately both at home and work.
      I highly recommend the BA 100 and GA 100 enzymes from Mile Hi. The BA stuff will be similar to the stuff that Z Bob uses but the GA is also necessary because it converts the non fermentables that the Alpha Amylase is unable to. This will give a lower terminating gravity and therefore a higher yield. I recommend a PH meter as the BA and GA instructions call for adjusting the PH separately for both enzymes.
      With 150lbs of barley grain you could make yourself a nice scotch style whiskey although traditional single malt uses Malted barley.
      As far as boiling goes. I bring my water with PH adjusted for the BA 100 to a good rolling boil, stir in my grain and cut the heat off. Cover it with a lid and go mow the lawn for an hour. Come back and stir in the BA 100(after temp adjustment if needed) usually using a paint mixer. You will notice that this enzyme Liquefies the porridge you have made and makes it more manageable. Mow for another hour and then add the GA 100. I generally let it cool to yeast pitch temp naturally over night. Pitch yeast and aerate it for a few hours. A tablespoon of MG for nutrients helps alot but isnt necessary.
      You are on the way to some of the hardest work you have ever done. Well worth it though.

      Mason