Re: whiskey strip run/mash question

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
      Bill,

      I'll say "no" but cautiously. Depending on the amount of suspended solids you have, you are doing exactly what I do, and with propane.

      I've had excellent luck, but when I cleaned the empty boiler after the beer-stripping runs, I found some "patterns" on the inside of the boiler's bottom, matching, I assume, the patterns of the propane flames on the outside of the boiler.

      The patterns cleaned off easily with the Scotch gritty-sponge I use, buy I *think* what I was seeing was a pre-scorch situation. I've seen it several times beer-stripping whiskey, and it's never scorched, but I suspect if I had a hotter gas burner, I might have scorched.

      I'm sorry if I'm being vague or conditional, but hopefully this will help you.

      Zymuurgy Bob, a simple potstiller