Recipe-Ice

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 23, 2009
      anyone have a recipe to make the Ice type drinks, i.e. Smirnoff Ice, Mike Hard Lemonade, etc. Wife likes those quite a bit. Figured someone must know.

      Thanks,

      Ed
    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 25, 2009
        Hi Ed

        In my experience most of these drinks are simply Vodka and Lemonade,
        or Vodka with some other soft drink.
        I had quite good results from using "cloudy" lemonade, and adding a small amount of concentrated lemon squash to add flavour.
        Hope this helps.

        Doc

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > anyone have a recipe to make the Ice type drinks, i.e. Smirnoff Ice, Mike Hard Lemonade, etc. Wife likes those quite a bit. Figured someone must know.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ed

      • Tampagamer
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 25, 2009

          There actuality not made from vodka but instead a fermented grain malt base

          David

          But I found no way to make it myself that way so it just as good to use vodka to recreate it

          And to tell you the truth I like it better with real vodka
          Magnus

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 28, 2009

            As Doc stated -

            This has nothing to do with dstilling.  Just make some nice neutral ethanol and add it to your lemonade, iced tea or whatever.  Just watch out for the ABV - dont want to get your SHMBO too Happy ;) (or maybe you might want too.....;)  remember those concoctions are only about 5% or less ABV.

            If you want to make a real "vodka citron" then take some lemon peels (no white pith) and let the neutral alcohol maserate for a week or so.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ed
            >
            > In my experience most of these drinks are simply Vodka and Lemonade,
            > or Vodka with some other soft drink.
            > I had quite good results from using "cloudy" lemonade, and adding a small amount of concentrated lemon squash to add flavour.
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Doc
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" edbar44@ wrote:
            > >
            > > anyone have a recipe to make the Ice type drinks, i.e. Smirnoff Ice, Mike Hard Lemonade, etc. Wife likes those quite a bit. Figured someone must know.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Ed

          • Ed Barcik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009

              I tried making the lemon/citron vodka using just the lemon zest and 94% for a month, looked really nice in the container, bright yellow and smelled great but when I added the water, it got cloudy and wouldn’t clear, did the same with raspberry and even vanilla bean, anyone have a suggestion for clearing?

            • gff_stwrt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                Hello, Ed and hi folks,

                Does it matter whether it clears?

                When you buy limoncello it is not clear.

                Regards,

                The Baker

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                  Yes Ed,

                  That was happening to me all the time when using tap water or spring
                  water. It wasn't till I started using distilled water that the problem
                  was solved.. Especially with high ABV distillations this problem will
                  occur.

                  The way I do it now is to distill all my low wines and even when running
                  a final run, down past the 0% mark and then mix that distilled water
                  with the final product. This not only helps clean out the still after
                  every run, but doesn't cause cloudiness in the final product..

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim aka Waldo.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009

                    Not really Baker,

                    But it depends on whats causing the cloudiness and as long as there are no added tastes, then it dont mean chit.  Its more of a perfectionistic, aesthical point of distilling - along with making the best product possible as a home distiller...

                    After all,  would you go into a liquor store and throw down 30 to 40 bucks for a cloudy bottle of brandy, bourbon or rum ???  ;);)

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim aka Waldo.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, Ed and hi folks,
                    >
                    > Does it matter whether it clears?
                    >
                    > When you buy limoncello it is not clear.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > The Baker
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" edbar44@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I tried making the lemon/citron vodka using just the lemon zest and 94% for
                    > > a month, looked really nice in the container, bright yellow and smelled
                    > > great but when I added the water, it got cloudy and wouldn't clear, did the
                    > > same with raspberry and even vanilla bean, anyone have a suggestion for
                    > > clearing?

                  • tykjaw
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                      Smirnoff Ice (red) is basically just vodka and bitter lemon, black is vodka and lemonade ... source, Diageo rep

                      As to whether it is made with vodka would depend on the definition of vodka and your ability and willingness to take on the lawyers of a multi billion global spirit producer, best avoided lol

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                      > anyone have a recipe to make the Ice type drinks, i.e. Smirnoff Ice, Mike Hard Lemonade, etc. Wife likes those quite a bit. Figured someone must know.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Ed

                    • gff_stwrt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                        Hi, folks,

                        Jim, I agree with you about the straight spirit, brandy etc. normally being clear but with respect to limoncello (and quite possibly other drinks);
                        I have made it and once the added water exceeds a certain amount it goes cloudy.
                        I have bought limoncello so that I can compare mine to the commercial product and it is cloudy too so I am satisfied that this is best practice.
                        And our friend was making a product very similar to limoncello, so......?

                        Regards,

                        The Baker

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009

                          Hey Baker,

                          Yes, your totally correct.  Limoncello is really a fortified, sweeted liquor made with lemons, vodka and sugar.  It is in fact ment to be served cloudy:

                          Limoncello

                          Its the national drink of Italy and is just like the fortified drinks that Vodkaman was talking about (only alot stronger).  But as Tykjaw stated last posting, these are all just fortified juices or teas, with a neutral alcohol (vodka most likely) and only sold at about a 4 to 5% ABV.  All these concoctions made from lemonade, fruit juices and sold by Smirnoff,  -  even Mike's Hard Lemonade are in fact cloudy.  If you want a good recipe for Limoncello, there is one in the Info Base: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm

                          However, I believe what Vodkaman and I were discussing was "Vodka Citron" which is a neutral alcohol maserated with lemon zest (non-sweetened) and is not ment to be cloudy.   I recently bought a small bottle of Smirnoff's Vodka Citron to compare to some of my homemade stuff and it was totally clear.   However, Limoncello is nowhere near to what "Vodka Citron" is ment to be, if you read the recipe above.

                          Really sorry for the misunderstanding and absolutly no offense was intended.

                          Vino es Veritas,

                          Jim aka Waldo.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, folks,
                          >
                          > Jim, I agree with you about the straight spirit, brandy etc. normally being clear but with respect to limoncello (and quite possibly other drinks);
                          > I have made it and once the added water exceeds a certain amount it goes cloudy.
                          > I have bought limoncello so that I can compare mine to the commercial product and it is cloudy too so I am satisfied that this is best practice.
                          > And our friend was making a product very similar to limoncello, so......?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > The Baker

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Not really Baker,
                          > >
                          > > But it depends on whats causing the cloudiness and as long as there are
                          > > no added tastes, then it dont mean chit. Its more of a perfectionistic,
                          > > aesthical point of distilling - along with making the best product
                          > > possible as a home distiller...
                          > >
                          > > After all, would you go into a liquor store and throw down 30 to 40
                          > > bucks for a cloudy bottle of brandy, bourbon or rum ??? [;)] [;)]
                          > >
                          > > Vino es Veritas,
                          > >
                          > > Jim aka Waldo.

                        • gff_stwrt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                            Hi, folks,
                            Jim, no thought of any grumpiness, it just seemed that maybe this stuff should be cloudy too.
                            So I've learnt something new, thanks,

                            The Baker

                            > Hey Baker,
                            >
                            > Yes, your totally correct. Limoncello is really a fortified, sweeted
                            > liquor made with lemons, vodka and sugar. It is in fact ment to be
                            > served cloudy:
                            >
                            > [Limoncello]
                            >

                            > Its the national drink of Italy and is just like the fortified drinks
                            > that Vodkaman was talking about (only alot stronger). But as Tykjaw
                            > stated last posting, these are all just fortified juices or teas, with a
                            > neutral alcohol (vodka most likely) and only sold at about a 4 to 5%
                            > ABV. All these concoctions made from lemonade, fruit juices and sold by
                            > Smirnoff, - even Mike's Hard Lemonade are in fact cloudy. If you want
                            > a good recipe for Limoncello, there is one in the Info Base:
                            > http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm
                            > <http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm>
                            >
                            > However, I believe what Vodkaman and I were discussing was "Vodka
                            > Citron" which is a neutral alcohol maserated with lemon zest
                            > (non-sweetened) and is not ment to be cloudy. I recently bought a
                            > small bottle of Smirnoff's Vodka Citron to compare to some of my
                            > homemade stuff and it was totally clear. However, Limoncello is
                            > nowhere near to what "Vodka Citron" is ment to be, if you read the
                            > recipe above.
                            >
                            > Really sorry for the misunderstanding and absolutly no offense was
                            > intended.
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            >
                            > Jim aka Waldo.
                            >

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi, folks,
                            > >
                            > > Jim, I agree with you about the straight spirit, brandy etc. normally
                            > being clear but with respect to limoncello (and quite possibly other
                            > drinks);
                            > > I have made it and once the added water exceeds a certain amount it
                            > goes cloudy.
                            > > I have bought limoncello so that I can compare mine to the commercial
                            > product and it is cloudy too so I am satisfied that this is best
                            > practice.
                            > > And our friend was making a product very similar to limoncello,
                            > so......?
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > >
                            > > The Baker
                            > >
                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@
                            > wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Not really Baker,
                            > > >
                            > > > But it depends on whats causing the cloudiness and as long as there
                            > are
                            > > > no added tastes, then it dont mean chit. Its more of a
                            > perfectionistic,
                            > > > aesthical point of distilling - along with making the best product
                            > > > possible as a home distiller...
                            > > >
                            > > > After all, would you go into a liquor store and throw down 30 to 40
                            > > > bucks for a cloudy bottle of brandy, bourbon or rum ??? [;)] [;)]
                            > > >
                            > > > Vino es Veritas,
                            > > >
                            > > > Jim aka Waldo.

                          • gff_stwrt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                              Hello, again,

                              Just by the way, the limoncello I bought is, I think, 28% abv.

                              The Baker

                              > Hey Baker,
                              >
                              > Yes, your totally correct. Limoncello is really a fortified, sweeted
                              > liquor made with lemons, vodka and sugar. It is in fact ment to be
                              > served cloudy:
                              >
                              > [Limoncello]
                              >

                              > Its the national drink of Italy and is just like the fortified drinks
                              > that Vodkaman was talking about (only alot stronger). But as Tykjaw
                              > stated last posting, these are all just fortified juices or teas, with a
                              > neutral alcohol (vodka most likely) and only sold at about a 4 to 5%
                              > ABV. All these concoctions made from lemonade, fruit juices and sold by
                              > Smirnoff, - even Mike's Hard Lemonade are in fact cloudy. If you want
                              > a good recipe for Limoncello, there is one in the Info Base:
                              > http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm
                              > <http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/Limoncello.htm>
                              >
                              > However, I believe what Vodkaman and I were discussing was "Vodka
                              > Citron" which is a neutral alcohol maserated with lemon zest
                              > (non-sweetened) and is not ment to be cloudy. I recently bought a
                              > small bottle of Smirnoff's Vodka Citron to compare to some of my
                              > homemade stuff and it was totally clear. However, Limoncello is
                              > nowhere near to what "Vodka Citron" is ment to be, if you read the
                              > recipe above.
                              >
                              > Really sorry for the misunderstanding and absolutly no offense was
                              > intended.
                              >
                              > Vino es Veritas,
                              >
                              > Jim aka Waldo.
                              >

                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi, folks,
                              > >
                              > > Jim, I agree with you about the straight spirit, brandy etc. normally
                              > being clear but with respect to limoncello (and quite possibly other
                              > drinks);
                              > > I have made it and once the added water exceeds a certain amount it
                              > goes cloudy.
                              > > I have bought limoncello so that I can compare mine to the commercial
                              > product and it is cloudy too so I am satisfied that this is best
                              > practice.
                              > > And our friend was making a product very similar to limoncello,
                              > so......?
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > >
                              > > The Baker
                              > >
                              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@
                              > wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Not really Baker,
                              > > >
                              > > > But it depends on whats causing the cloudiness and as long as there
                              > are
                              > > > no added tastes, then it dont mean chit. Its more of a
                              > perfectionistic,
                              > > > aesthical point of distilling - along with making the best product
                              > > > possible as a home distiller...
                              > > >
                              > > > After all, would you go into a liquor store and throw down 30 to 40
                              > > > bucks for a cloudy bottle of brandy, bourbon or rum ??? [;)] [;)]
                              > > >
                              > > > Vino es Veritas,
                              > > >
                              > > > Jim aka Waldo.

                            • Ed Barcik
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009

                                Okay, will try the distilled water, have some vanilla sitting for a month, will try that today.

                              • Ed Barcik

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                                    If you are doing neutral spirit (e.g. vodka) infusions there will be some sediment (eventually). You can filter or decant carefully. Most commercial flavored vodkas just use essential oils.
                                    wal