aluminum to copper

  • chuckluna@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
      i am using a aluminum lid wich connects to my copper column. silver solder wont stick, there is only a few millimeters that need soldering. any suggestions will a silicone or food grade epoxy work if so please give name or a solder that melts with a butane acetelene torch all other parts were silver soldered by someone who had a torch but could not get silver solder to stick to aluminum. need help fast. thanks guys !!!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chuckluna@..." <chuckluna@...> wrote:

        > i am using a aluminum lid wich connects to my copper column. silver solder wont stick, there is only a few millimeters that need soldering. any suggestions will a silicone or food grade epoxy work if so please give name or a solder that melts with a butane acetelene torch all other parts were silver soldered by someone who had a torch but could not get silver solder to stick to aluminum. need help fast. thanks guys !!!

        Aluminum is too soft (and I don't recommend it in stills). But if you really MUST use it, forget about soldering it. Fabricate or buy a flange. S/S sink drains are an option. Punch a hole in the lid, fit the sink strainer upside down, then fit the column to that.

        If you want to try fabricating a flange from scratch, there's one in my Library here...
        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/BAPHS/
        pages 17 - 19.

      • stillton@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chuckluna@" <chuckluna@> wrote:
          > >
          > > i am using a aluminum lid wich connects to my copper column. silver solder wont stick, there is only a few millimeters that need soldering. any suggestions will a silicone or food grade epoxy work if so please give name or a solder that melts with a butane acetelene torch all other parts were silver soldered by someone who had a torch but could not get silver solder to stick to aluminum. need help fast. thanks guys !!!

          You could try electroplating copper onto the aluminum (and then solder it), but i belive i heard its not as easy as electroplating on normal steel, which can be done with things laying around in a normal household. thus needing some chemical that could be hard to get, but i think you can probably find more info on it via google.
          heres a simpele guide on electroplating, that shows it doesnt take much effort to do in small scale http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-and-Simple-Electroplating/
          but as i said, you will probably need some other chemical to make it stick on aluminum, and you will have to dissolve more copper in the acid when plating things bigger then coins
          Good luck!
        • M W
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
            Aluminum forms oxides very quickly in air, if you absolutely MUST solder it, you need to completely cover it with flux then scratch the oxide coating off and then solder it. I've done that witl electrical solder, it's a very weak joint mechanically as it's just soldered to SOME of the aluminum.

            Easier to use Copper or Stainless Steel, or a mechanical method (threading or whatever)

            (Catching up, RL problems lately.)