Steam coming off column near lid

  • lv2blade2
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 17, 2009
      I have a reflux column still (22 qt pot with copper column). When I fired up the still to clean it out with a low ABV wash there was steam coming out of the column where it connects to the lid. The column does not have a seal on it, it just slides down into the fitting on the lid. I contacted the guy who I bought the still from about the steam. He told me that I just needed to watch the temp of the still and that it was burning too hot (which was true I was way too hot). I have read through some past notes on leaks and a leaky still is deadly and you can lose a great deal of product. I am now able to better control the temp of the still. Should I make the dough paste for the seal or should I try to make the seal permanent? And I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all who have been so helpful thus far in my journey. Hill
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 17, 2009
        Just wrap few rounds of white teflon (PTFE) tape around the seal. It'll fix things.

        Slainte, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lv2blade2" <lv2blade2@...> wrote:

        > I have a reflux column still (22 qt pot with copper column). When I fired up the still to clean it out with a low ABV wash there was steam coming out of the column where it connects to the lid. The column does not have a seal on it, it just slides down into the fitting on the lid. I contacted the guy who I bought the still from about the steam. He told me that I just needed to watch the temp of the still and that it was burning too hot (which was true I was way too hot). I have read through some past notes on leaks and a leaky still is deadly and you can lose a great deal of product. I am now able to better control the temp of the still. Should I make the dough paste for the seal or should I try to make the seal permanent? And I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all who have been so helpful thus far in my journey. Hill

      • vodkaman1976
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 18, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lv2blade2" <lv2blade2@...> wrote:

          > I have a reflux column still (22 qt pot with copper column). When I fired up the still to clean it out with a low ABV wash there was steam coming out of the column where it connects to the lid. The column does not have a seal on it, it just slides down into the fitting on the lid. I contacted the guy who I bought the still from about the steam. He told me that I just needed to watch the temp of the still and that it was burning too hot (which was true I was way too hot). I have read through some past notes on leaks and a leaky still is deadly and you can lose a great deal of product. I am now able to better control the temp of the still. Should I make the dough paste for the seal or should I try to make the seal permanent? And I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all who have been so helpful thus far in my journey. Hill

          I use the dough paste myself to seal up the connection on my pot still. All it is, is flour and water. Takes 5 minutes to mix up and apply.
          Just my 2 cents worth, Vodka.
        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 18, 2009
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

            > I use the dough paste myself to seal up the connection on my pot still. All it is, is flour and water. Takes 5 minutes to mix up and apply.
            > Just my 2 cents worth, Vodka.

            Just a twist on this. For a long time I used white flour and then "Pint" recommended using whole wheat. After using and cleaning up the whole wheat stuff I would recommend using it as well. For some reason White flour doesnt reconstitute after it dries out whereas the whole wheat softens right back up with a little soap and water after a minute or 2 and then wipes right off with a sponge. I use it for my boiler lid connection. You have pry the lid off after a run.
            Have to go with Riku on this though. If it is a pipe slip/solder fitting Teflon tape is the way to go. Lately i have been using the 3/4" wide stuff you can get from Harbor freight and wrapping it around the outside tightly covering the seam. Seems to work just as good as using it for an internal seal.

            Mason
          • edbar44
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
              Get the seals that Amphora Society sells, they work great, their units are slip fitted for easy disassembly.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lv2blade2" <lv2blade2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a reflux column still (22 qt pot with copper column). When I fired up the still to clean it out with a low ABV wash there was steam coming out of the column where it connects to the lid. The column does not have a seal on it, it just slides down into the fitting on the lid. I contacted the guy who I bought the still from about the steam. He told me that I just needed to watch the temp of the still and that it was burning too hot (which was true I was way too hot). I have read through some past notes on leaks and a leaky still is deadly and you can lose a great deal of product. I am now able to better control the temp of the still. Should I make the dough paste for the seal or should I try to make the seal permanent? And I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all who have been so helpful thus far in my journey. Hill
              > >

              > I use the dough paste myself to seal up the connection on my pot still. All it is, is flour and water. Takes 5 minutes to mix up and apply.
              > Just my 2 cents worth, Vodka.

            • Ed Barcik
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009

                Get the gaskets that Amphora Society sells, they work great, their units are slip fitted for easy disassembly.

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                  Last I checked with Mike they were not selling those gaskets and they are not available from their web site either. The reason was that they omly have one size and if they started selling them they'd get clogged with requests for all possible column diameters. Let's face it, even nominal 2" copper pipe can be 51mm or 54mm depending on your geographical location.

                  Of course if someone can find a reasonably priced source for such "gaskets" I'd be very interested myself, wrapping PTFE tape gets boring quite soon when your column is made from five pieces.

                  Slainte, Riku

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                    > Last I checked with Mike they were not selling those gaskets and they are not available from their web site either. The reason was that they omly have one size and if they started selling them they'd get clogged with requests for all possible column diameters. Let's face it, even nominal 2" copper pipe can be 51mm or 54mm depending on your geographical location.
                    >
                    > Of course if someone can find a reasonably priced source for such "gaskets" I'd be very interested myself, wrapping PTFE tape gets boring quite soon when your column is made from five pieces.
                    >
                    > Slainte, Riku
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Get the gaskets that Amphora Society sells, they work great, their units are
                    > > slip fitted for easy disassembly.

                    Does anyone know what material those are made from. BUNA-N, Silicone?
                    I have a source that makes heavy duty rubber bands from a few different materials pretty much in whatever width you need. They would do short runs. Sliding a "rubber band" of the right material over the joint would make a really good seal with some added adjustability.

                    Mason
                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                      I've received a bit conflicting information but I believe they are NBR. Based on my experience silicone should be even better. So Mason, can you check with your source which inert materials they have available. It would be quite cool if one could order hundred or so sealing rubber bands for relatively small money.

                      Slainte, Riku

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Last I checked with Mike they were not selling those gaskets and they are not available from their web site either. The reason was that they omly have one size and if they started selling them they'd get clogged with requests for all possible column diameters. Let's face it, even nominal 2" copper pipe can be 51mm or 54mm depending on your geographical location.
                      > >
                      > > Of course if someone can find a reasonably priced source for such "gaskets" I'd be very interested myself, wrapping PTFE tape gets boring quite soon when your column is made from five pieces.
                      > >
                      > > Slainte, Riku
                      > >
                      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Get the gaskets that Amphora Society sells, they work great, their units are
                      > > > slip fitted for easy disassembly.
                      > > >

                      > Does anyone know what material those are made from. BUNA-N, Silicone?
                      > I have a source that makes heavy duty rubber bands from a few different materials pretty much in whatever width you need. They would do short runs. Sliding a "rubber band" of the right material over the joint would make a really good seal with some added adjustability.
                      >
                      > Mason

                    • Ed Barcik
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009

                        The seal Amphora sells fir almost everything since they really stretch, I use the same seal on 2” and 3” column.

                      • Chuck Luna
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                          wher can you get this at its safe right.

                          The seal Amphora sells fir almost everything since they really stretch, I use the same seal on 2” and 3” column.

                        • billfitz49
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                            The Amphora gaskets are made out of nitrile which is Buna-N. They make a good seal because they have a lot of stretch and will fit any size of 2 inch pipe (50mm or 54mm). The unstretched I.D. is approximately 1 7/8" (4.76 cm). They are 15/16" (23.8mm) long.

                            Bill

                            > Does anyone know what material those are made from. BUNA-N, Silicone?
                            > I have a source that makes heavy duty rubber bands from a few different materials pretty much in whatever width you need. They would do short runs. Sliding a "rubber band" of the right material over the joint would make a really good seal with some added adjustability.
                            >
                            > Mason

                          • burrows206
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                              Hi Ed,
                              If you stretch a ring seal, the circular rubber cross-section part of the ring will get smaller in diameter therefore it will loose it's sealing efficiency. It probably will still seal on a non-pressurized type system that we would be using them for. But ultimately they will flatten out and if not ethanol resistant and they will leak. The master plumber that taught me had a wry sense of humour and always told me,"Always use the right rubber size for the job in hand me young fella'"
                              Anyway enough of that just be aware that a stretched seal has a high possibility of leaking
                              Geoff

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                              > The seal Amphora sells fir almost everything since they really stretch, I
                              > use the same seal on 2" and 3" column.

                            • rosnekcaj
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                                What seems to work okay for me is this. I am using a 2" packed column. At the top of the column I have sweated a 2" coupling and my 2" condenser slides into the top of the coupling. For a seal I use an oring whose dimention is 2" id, 2 1/4" od, 1/8" thk. The oring is a Parker 2-226.
                                These are available from auto parts stores. A slow vapor leak at this point tends to condense and create its own seal. The oring provides supplemental sealing.

                                rosne

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                                > Last I checked with Mike they were not selling those gaskets and they are not available from their web site either. The reason was that they omly have one size and if they started selling them they'd get clogged with requests for all possible column diameters. Let's face it, even nominal 2" copper pipe can be 51mm or 54mm depending on your geographical location.
                                >
                                > Of course if someone can find a reasonably priced source for such "gaskets" I'd be very interested myself, wrapping PTFE tape gets boring quite soon when your column is made from five pieces.
                                >
                                > Slainte, Riku
                              • rosnekcaj
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                                  Checkout the nitrile gloves at www.labsafety.com. The wrist looks like it may have the approximate diameter that one cold use for making a seal band. The ones I looked at were No. 147477 have a smooth finish, are 6-mil thick. They com in large, medium and small. I don't know which would be the closest size for wahat we need.

                                  rosne

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billfitz49" <billfitz@...> wrote:

                                  > The Amphora gaskets are made out of nitrile which is Buna-N. They make a good seal because they have a lot of stretch and will fit any size of 2 inch pipe (50mm or 54mm). The unstretched I.D. is approximately 1 7/8" (4.76 cm). They are 15/16" (23.8mm) long.
                                • mwmccaw
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 20, 2009
                                    Jeffrey is right, as you stretch them to a wider column diameter, they do narrow, but will still seal a 3" column OK.
                                    I only have one size I stock, because the setup charge and minimum order mean that I get a two-three year supply every time I order them.
                                    The original gaskets were nitrile, but we switched to EPDM, as it is more chemically resistant than nitrile, and has better stretch recovery.

                                    I haven't listed them on the website, because the demand has been so low, but I do sell them on request. I offer a set of 5 for $5 plus postage, which is $1 to the US and $2 to the rest of the world. If anyone wants a set, drop me a line at admin@amphora society.com, and I'll generate a paypal request. I'm not making anything on them, just covering my costs, but I have Plenty (g).

                                    (I hope that this doesn't cross the line of advertising - if it does, Harry or Riku, feel free to delete the post).

                                    Cheers,
                                    Mike
                                  • Ed Barcik
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 21, 2009

                                      I understand they do get a little thinner when stretched over the 3”, however, Mike suggests the fitting be first coated with silicone grease so the joint won’t seize and a little of that always gets on the seal which provides for a better seal. Been using these for 6 months or so and they work fine, never had a leak.